1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Installer problem + 1

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CraftyCreations, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraftyCreations

CraftyCreations Thread Starter

Hi All,

I'd like to thank-you in advance for trying to help this technology challenged person. I don't know what kind of information that you would need so if I miss something, please let me know and where I can find it.

I have owned 4 computers in the last 7 years and have managed to turn 3 of them into the perfect paperweights! I give a whole new meaning to "computer illiterate."

My first problem is with my desktop. It's a Dell and I have Windows XP on it. My spyware and antivirus are updated daily.

One day I went to get on the internet and I got nothing but a white screen. I like Mozilla Firefox and update it when I'm told. I couldn't get onto ANY site. I had to go over to Internet Explorer 8. EVERY time I went to a site the Windows Installer would pop up saying "Windows is preparing to install." If I clicked on a link, I got the same message.

I reinstalled Firefox from my computer, but got the same blank screen. After fighting with IE for a couple of weeks. I decided to try Firefox one more time only this time I downloaded and installed directly from the site. Haven't had the problem since unless I accidentally click on IE or someone else does.

HOWEVER, if I click "My Documents" I get the message. Eventually My Documents will pop up and if I click a file in there, I get the message. I have found a work around for getting into Word but can't access anything else without getting the message - pictures, media player...

I went to the Microsoft site and tried everything that I could (that I could understand anyway) and nothing has helped. The last thing I tried was to reformat my hard drive but all of a sudden now my floppy drive won't read the disc!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now my next problem involves my laptop. It's a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Windows XP and Vista. I installed Microsoft Suite 8 - all 6 discs. But every time I try to open Word I get the Windows Installer doing its thing and then it asks me to put in Disc #1. If I click "cancel" then it works backwards. Instead of the green install line moving to the right, it moves left like it's uninstalling.

Is there a way to get Word to accept that everything is already installed or do I need to uninstall it and reinstall it again?

If I missed something, let me know because I'd really like to figure out what to do.

Thanks for your help,
    Candy

2. CraftyCreations

CraftyCreations Thread Starter

No ideas? I could really use the help.

Thanks anyway,
    Candy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice