Windows Installer problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

b_bear

I've had this problem for awhile and I do not know how it came to be. I installed Windows Vista 64 at one point, but my wireless usb adapter didn't have any drivers for windows vista 64 so I reformatted my entire hd and reinstalled win xp home.

anyway, the problem is I cannot install the new version of iTunes,openoffice, and Steam. There's probably more programs out there that I cannot install, so I really want to resolve this issue as it is very annoying. everytime I try to install any of these programs i get this message

"The installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

is there anything I can do? please help

b_bear

Ok, I downloaded 3.1 anyway and installed to no avil.
I'm still getting the message pop-up.

b_bear

The_Oracle said:
I dunno what this means "This error message can occur if the name of the network share from which you are running Setup is more than 12 characters in length (13 characters or more). See MS KB294978 for details."

and the link that it gives for says nothing can be found on the site.

and i'm pretty sure it's not the other two. i disabled my av and it did nothing.

the installer might be corrupt. did you delete the installer of the software you want to install from the folder windows\installer?

b_bear

The_Oracle said:
the installer might be corrupt. did you delete the installer of the software you want to install from the folder windows\installer?
I have no idea where the folder "Windows Installer" is

and i thought you have read the article i posted in response #5

This can also occur if the locally cached Windows Installer package (*.msi) file is damaged or corrupted. If this is the case try the following steps to remove the locally cached installation:

1) Open the \Windows\Installer folder on your computer's hard disk.
2) Right-click any file with an .msi extension.
3) Click Properties on the shortcut menu. The Subject box on the Summary tab contains the name of the product that installed the .msi file.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each .msi file in the \Installer folder, and delete the .msi file for the version of the application you are trying to install.
I have no idea where the folder "Windows Installer" is
inside the Windows folder ... delete any installer belonging to a failed installation.

b_bear

The_Oracle said:
and i thought you have read the article i posted in response #5

inside the Windows folder ... delete any installer belonging to a failed installation.
yeah it said the windows installer folder on my hard disk, I dunno where that is. I even typed "windows installer" in search

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online