Windows Installer Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

quietbe27

Apparently something went wrong with my Windows Installer... I can install most programs fine, but when I try to open them, Windows Installer pops up and says 'preparing to install...' and then says 'the windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if the windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.' Any suggestions?
(Vista x64)

Hey quietbe27 I know how you feel man, I had the same problem, try re-registering the Windows Installer Service key via the registry editor. Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324516 for full instructions. You could also try and re-install it. If this still fails there is a theory that you can export the registry keys from a working computer (has to use the same OS) and import them to your own computer.

quietbe27

none of this is working... maybe since i have vista, a lot of the stuff is different, and i can't find half the things they're talking about... but i'm gonna try to import the registry keys like you said...

quietbe27

well, i can now open word, etc, but it still has to 'configure/ gather information' every time, which is not the end of the world, i could deal with that, but it'd be nice if it would just open normally...

quietbe27

hm... it wouldn't let me install the cleaner... and now it has reverted to not opening anything at all again.

Try going to a healthy computer with the same OS as you and copy the windows installer registry keys and the installer exe file to a flash drive and replace the old ones on your computer with the new ones.

Registry key entry(s):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Enum>msiserver

Installer Exe File Entry:
C:\WINDOWS\System32

*the installer may say that you cannot delete it, just rename it and paste the new installer in the same folder.

just import the registry keys in the location I gave you.

DO ALL OF THIS IN SAFE MODE, RESTART ONCE COMPLETE.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online