Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows installer runs on each log on to XP

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Cookiegal 
#1 ·
I have two main problems, the first one is that the Windows installer is running for 2 seconds every time I log on to the PC. I have no idea why, and scans with EasyClean, Spybot and NAV shows nothing at all.

My second problem is that for some reason I cannot install MSN Messenger. It keeps telling me that the administrator has prevented this with security policies, but I am logged on with a user that has admin rights?

I am running a Sony Vaio W2, with XP Home SP2 installed.

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Hiya and welcome

Are you still having this problem? If so, for the first one, lets see a startup list:

Go to Start | Run and type MSINFO32
On the left choose Software Enviroment, then Startup Programs.
Copy/paste the list here.

As for the second problem, can you install any other type of programs? It may be that you have full rights, except for program installation. Can someone log in as the Admin, and install it for you?

Regards

eddie

#3 ·
Eddie,

Thanks for your reply. Since I posted, I have managed to sort out both problems, to an extent at least.
The Installer was Office, that tried to run its configuration install tool, and I dont know why as I have had Office on this PC for quite some time, and just all of a sudden it has decided to start doing this?
Obviously, its a quite simple fix, if I would still have had the install CD, which I dont. I lost it together with ALL my other software during a move.
Any ideas on how to bypass thsat one, other than disabling it in the startup section?
Obviously, every time I start any Office program, it also wants to run the config installer, but I cancel that and it seems to work fine.

The second issue was that for some obscure reason, the registry had been changed for all users not to be able to install anything. I have not changed this, and being the only user on the PC I find this a little odd. However, I did have a virus, which has now also been deleted.

#4 ·
Busy time of the year, that's why I'm late in replying. That, and partying all the time :D

For the second part, lets take a look at a log. go to http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip , and download 'Hijack This!'.
Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log somewhere, and please copy & paste its contents to the forum.

It will possibly show other issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.
Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

It may/may not help on the first part, but we'll work on that after, as you can still workaround it at the moment. A clean system is the main thing :)

eddie

#5 ·
Eddie, thanks for your help. Here is the logfile:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 01:23:51, on 02/01/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\sony\giga pocket\shwserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
C:\Program Files\sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\GPDBWatcher.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VCSW\VCSW.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCdb\VzCdbSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCdb\VzFw.exe
C:\Program Files\sony\giga pocket\RM_SV.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\drag'n drop cd+dvd\BinFiles\DragDrop.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ntl\BROADB~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\sony\keyboard closure setup\KSWServ.exe
C:\Program Files\sony\usbsircs\usbsircs.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\sony\giga pocket\ReserveModule.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Action Setup\VAServ.exe
C:\Program Files\ntl\broadband medic\bin\mpbtn.exe
C:\Program Files\sony\giga pocket\gps.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Program Files\wincmd\WinCmd32.exe
c:\Utils\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.club-vaio.sony-europe.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.club-vaio.sony-europe.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Drag'n Drop CD+DVD] C:\Program Files\drag'n drop cd+dvd\BinFiles\DragDrop.exe /StartUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\System32\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\ntl\BROADB~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: broadband medic.lnk = C:\Program Files\ntl\broadband medic\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Keyboard Closure Setup.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Remocon Driver.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Timer Recording Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\sony\giga pocket\ReserveModule.exe
O4 - Global Startup: VAIO Action Setup (Server).lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.club-vaio.sony-europe.com/
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.engstromtele.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.sony-europe.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.sonystyle-europe.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.vaio-link.com
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Proxy Service (ccPxySvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe
O23 - Service: Giga Pocket Hardware Detector - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\sony\giga pocket\shwserv.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security Accounts Manager (NISUM) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Sony TV Tuner Controller - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\sony\giga pocket\halsv.exe
O23 - Service: Sony TV Tuner Manager - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\sony\giga pocket\RM_SV.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment TV Device Arbitration Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCs\VzHardwareResourceManager\VzHardwareResourceManager.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media DB Sync Service (VAIOMediaDBSyncService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\GPDBWatcher.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaDBSyncService /DisplayName="VAIO Media DB Sync Service (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Integrated Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-IntegratedServer-AppServer) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\VMISrv.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Integrated Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-IntegratedServer-HTTP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Platform\SV_Httpd.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-IntegratedServer-HTTP /RegRoot="SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\VAIO Media Platform\2.0" /RegExt="Applications\IntegratedServer\HTTP (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Integrated Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-IntegratedServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Gateway Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-Mobile-Gateway) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Platform\VmGateway.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-Mobile-Gateway /RegRoot="SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\VAIO Media Platform\2.0" /RegExt="\Addons\Packages\Mobile\Gateway" /DisplayName="VAIO Media Gateway Server (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Video Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-VideoServer-AppServer) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\sony\giga pocket\GPVSvr.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-VideoServer-AppServer /DisplayName="VAIO Media Video Server (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment UPnP Client Adapter (Vcsw) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VCSW\VCSW.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment Database Service (VzCdbSvc) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCdb\VzCdbSvc.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment File Import Service (VzFw) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCdb\VzFw.exe

#6 ·
Eddie asked me to take a look at your log. I don't see anything there that might account for this behaviour but we could run some scans just to see if there's anything that's not showing in the log.

Download Cleanup from Here
  • A window will open and choose SAVE, then DESKTOP as the destination.
  • On your Desktop, click on Cleanup40.exe icon.
  • Then, click RUN and place a checkmark beside "I Agree"
  • Then click NEXT followed by START and OK.
  • A window will appear with many choices, keep all the defaults as set when the Slide Bar to the left is set to Standard Quality.
  • Click OK
  • DO NOT RUN IT YET

Download the trial version of Ewido Security Suite here.
  • Install ewido.
  • During the installation, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
  • Launch ewido
  • It will prompt you to update click the OK button and it will go to the main screen
  • On the left side of the main screen click update
  • Click on Start and let it update.
  • DO NOT run a scan yet. You will do that later in safe mode.

Click here for info on how to boot to safe mode if you don't already know how.

Now copy these instructions to notepad and save them to your desktop. You will need them to refer to in safe mode.

Restart your computer into safe mode now. Perform the following steps in safe mode:

Run Ewido:
  • Click on scanner
  • Click Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
  • During the scan it will prompt you to clean files, click OK
  • When the scan is finished, look at the bottom of the screen and click the Save report button.
  • Save the report to your desktop

Run Cleanup:
  • Click on the "Cleanup" button and let it run.
  • Once it’s done, close the program.

Go to Control Panel - Internet Options. Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button. Click Apply then OK.

Restart back into Windows normally now.

Do a Panda Active Scan. Be sure to save the log it creates.

Come back here and post a new HijackThis log, as well as the logs from the Ewido and Panda scans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.