Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Installer runs on Startup

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dannyyoung 
#1 ·
Every time I boot my laptop, Windows Installer eventually starts up and asks me to insert a CD for Fax. I have to cancel this three times, and then it goes away. It isn't affecting performance but I have no idea why it is asking me to do this, does anyone know how I can make it stop?

Could it be something to do with RegCure, which I downloaded recently, I don't recall this happening before I ran that program?

Thanks

Danny

#4 ·
AMEN! to the admonition against Registry cleaners.

To remove the current error message:

If the 'Fax' application referenced in the error message does have a CD and is installed, simply insert the CD and allow Installer to 'finish' its business.

No CD? Uninstall and re-install the 'Fax' application.

If 'Fax' is an un-installed application, use the Installer Cleanup Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Download and install the Utility. When run, it will present a list of applications for which Installer has reference. Left click the 'Fax' program entry once to highlight it, and then press the "Remove" button at the lower right.

Do not use the utility on any program that you want to remain functional. it will be necessary to re-install it to the same directory to make it work again.

#5 ·
And again, thanks, I have heard (only since installing and running RegCure) that such programs are nothing but trouble, stupidly I paid for it so I'll see what I can do to get money back - but I will try your suggestions and let you know what the results are.

I have a question - do you think that RegCure could have caused my sound problem (details of which can be found here - http://forums.techguy.org/multimedia/648693-audio-problems-xp-bug-echo.html), and is summarised here:

I have an audio problem - I cannot hear audio from web-sites such as MySpace, YouTube and Facebook. When I click on Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel, the chosen device is shown as Indigo io 3-4 Virtual Out. No matter what changes I make (even if I try to change to the default sound card - Conexant AMC Audio), when I click on Apply and then OK, and then open the Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel again, the settings have not been updated and the chosen device is still being shown as Indigo io 3-4 Virtual Out. It is more puzzling because audio applications such as iTunes are working fine and I can hear audio from my speakers, however audio from the internet, such as MySpace, or YouTube, does not play.

Could this be registry related? I fear I may have to rebuild my laptop from scratch and I would love to do anything but - if anyone has any ideas I'd welcome them...

Danny

#6 ·
But Regcure also automatically backs up any changes it makes so they can be undone.

Open Regcure > Click the [backup] button on the left

Then click [check all] and [restore all]

If you run Regcure again make certain that you do not run any scan or repair on "file path references" or "com/activex".

Been using that dumb program for a while and I can trace all my problems back to those two catagories, including a similar issue I had to yours with an HP All In One Printer

Only reason I keep using it is for the startup manager so I don't have to open regedit to delete startup entries.

#7 ·
... well I undid the registry changes (thanks, I never knew I could do this) made by RegCure and the Windows Installer message didn't appear after I rebooted the machine... so that's one problem down - woohoo!

But I still have no audio coming through MySpace, YouTube etc...

When I enter Sounds and Audio Devices through Control Panel, make changes, click Apply, then OK and then open Sounds and Audio Devices again, none of my changes have been saved.

Thanks for all your help so far everyone. But what could be causing this??? I use MySpace for music promotion so I need audio! I run Norton 360, and it said that ActiveX was disabled, and couldn't fix it. Now i understand that MySpace, YouTube etc. use Flash, which has something to do with ActiveX - could this be something to do with my problem? I am using Firefox, but can't find any ActiveX settings in the options... I can see video, but there is no sound.

Oops, sorry do I need to move this to a different forum now? Sorry... TSG newb...

#8 ·
I contacted Symantec support who took over my laptop remotely, made some changes and the problem is not Norton 360 related.

I have changed the settings in Sounds and Audio Devices so that the Windows Default sound scheme is applied - and I do not hear any sounds from that either. If I try to preview the sounds, the "play" button is greyed out. Hmm.

If I go into Sounds and Audio Devices, enter Volume on Sound Recording and then go into Options -> Properties. When I check PC speaker in Playback, interestingly the PC Speaker slider is also greyed out, and cannot be adjusted (although it is not at the bottom, i.e. muted). I see a pattern forming here - but don't know where to go... and please, if I need to post this in another forum, let me know, will be happy to do so.

Does this info help point anyone towards a possible solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.