1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Installer Service and Cryptographic Service and other issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gladriella, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gladriella

Gladriella Thread Starter

I open my Dell Laptop last night to find MSE not running. I tried to start it and received an error...and so it began.

Error: Couldn't start the Security Essentials service. The dependancy service or group failed to start. Error Code: 0x800704csteps and thing

Tried to reinstall MSE. Already installed. Tried to remove using Control Panel > Add Remove Programs. Uninstall Wizard starts...Error: Cannot complete uninstall wizard. An error has prevented the Security Essentials Uninstall Wizard from continuing. Please restart...Error code: 0x8004FF01
    Restart did not solve anything, not in Safe Mode or Reg Mode.

Checked to see if Windows Installer is running by services.msc in Start > Run
    Extended tab is mostly blue.
    Standard Tab: Windows Installer (no status) Manual
    able to right click and select properties - nothing happens
    click start arrow at top - error: Could not start the windows installer service on Local Computer.
    Error: 1068. The dependency service or group failed to start
    Dependency tab - NONE/MISSING

Tried to re-register the windows installer according to support.microsoft.com - didn't fix
    Tried to re-install windows installer - error: Setup could not verify the integrity of the file update.inf. Make sure the cryptographic services is running in this computer. IT IS. see services.msc above

Lots of research and trying various solves like:
    net stopped cryptsvc, ren Catroot2 Catroot2old, net strt cryptsve
    Rebooted in safe mode and reg mod: retired everything - NOTHING CHANGED.

in amongst all this lost taskbar - was able to get it back, but now it doesn't show what is running at bottom.
    Hot keys and keyboard shortcuts - cut /paste not working. Unable to right click paste. Can alt-tab (only way to navigate what is open)

I uninstalled AVG about a month ago since it was slowing my computer down so much and switched to MSE. Now I am unable to look for virus or maleware since MSE won't run and I can't install anything to find out if I am infected.

At my wits end:confused:. Please help.
    Kelly

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Gladriella
    Welcome to Tech Support Guy

I think it best in view of all the cirumstances, if you go here to this link
    http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/943214-everyone-must-read-before-posting.html

and follow carefully please the advice in the link.

Please create a new topic in the Malware forum, posting if possible the requested log.
    Would you also please provide in that topic a link to this one.
    If when my colleague in the Malware forum has given you a clean bill of health, the problem still exists, then it maybe that you are advised to come back here, so we further explore the possible cause, if it transpires not to be a Malware infection.

Please be patient, as the experts in malware are always very busy.

As an aside issue and not the cause of this problem, if your specifications are correct at this time and you only have 512MB ram of which only 504 is available to start with, 8MB being used for the integrated graphics, then for your further consideration, at a later date, the system will never run smoothly on such s small amount of ram.
    1GB is commonly recognised as the real requirement for XP to run smoothly

3. Macboatmaster

Gladriella

It is some six days, since I advised you that the best course of action was to seek the advice of one of the experts in our Malware forum.

I just wondered how you decided to proceed and indeed how you went on, as of course you have not yet responded here, or posted as I recommended.

Whatever your decision was good luck with it

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Kelly still has only 1 post listed, so he/she hasn't replied anywhere else in these forums.

I was going to ask if any registry "cleaner/fixer" type utilities have been used in that computer.

---------------------------------------------------------

5. Gladriella

Thank you. Trying to stay off internet. I will check back more often, from another location from now on.
    I have posted in the Malware forum.
    I have postponed the System Restore option for now.

Kelly

6. Gladriella

Flavallee,

I have used ccleaner in the past. I always have the registry backed up. When this 1st happened I did restore the last back-up. Alas, this did nothing for the situation. For the future, I should stay away from registry cleaner/fixer programs, yes?

Kelly

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Yes, definitely avoid registry "cleaner/fixer" type utilities.

They do little-to-nothing to fix issues and improve speed.

What they can do though is damage Windows and break certain programs and generate error/warning messages and wreak havoc with a computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------

8. Macboatmaster

9. Gladriella

Flavallee - so I have recently been finding. <sigh> Learning the hardway...

Macboatmaster - thanks!

Gladriella

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1070120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice