1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Installer Service Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lvjudge, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lvjudge

lvjudge Thread Starter

Ok. Strange things are going on here. It's kind of a long story because I don't know what's relevant and what isn't:
    I tried to install the new Beta Windows Live Messenger. It didn't work, so after much grief, I decided to uninstall it. The program didn't show up in Control Panel, so in a moment of thoughtless stupidity I deleted its folder from my Program Files and deleted several of its entries in my registry. Restarted the program is still there. I downloaded a 3rd party uninstaller programs (Handy Uninstaller) to remove it, when I tried to uninstall it I get this message "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in Safe Mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance" The message now appears when I try to uninstall anything.

I have no idea whether Windows Live Messenger has anything to do with the problem, I'm just grasping a straws here.

I googled the problem with Windows Installer Service and found an article from Microsoft (view here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315353). I followed all of the steps listed, restarted, but I'm still having the same problem and now the Windows Installer Service doesn't even appear in the services list :(

Please please help!
    See my profile for my PC specs and just ask if you need more info! Thanks!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The new Windows Live Messenger 2009 appears in the Add Or Remove Programs as "Windows Live Essentials". It also places 2 or 3 other "Windows Live - -" entries.

Since you didn't uninstall it and remove its remnants correctly, download and install Revo Uninstaller 1.80 to get rid of it. Select only the registry entries that are highlighted in bold to get rid of.

Keep it in your computer afterwards because you'll likely have a need for it again.

------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

4. lvjudge

lvjudge Thread Starter

I went to the link but I couldn't run the .exe file...I got the same error message about Windows Installer Service. Thanks for the idea tho. Is there anything else you can suggest?

5. Phantom010

Go to Start / Run / type services.msc

Locate the Windows Installer and double click on it. What's the status of the service? Enabled/disabled, Manual/Automatic?

6. lvjudge

lvjudge Thread Starter

It's not there. It was, then I followed this Microsoft tutorial that I posted the link for, then I restarted. and now its gone. So, yea, I really don't know what is going on. I'm just hoping I don't have reinstall XP

7. Phantom010

Have you tried a System Restore?

8. Phantom010

9. casper0191

casper0191

Well you just have to install the XP service pack 2 Cd installer then try to auto play the CD. That might run the upgrade program.

10. lvjudge

lvjudge Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the attempts to help and sorry to sort of disappear. I work and go to school full-time so I don't have a lot of time to devote to trying to fix this.
    Anyway. I tried System Restore but none of the restore points could load. I did sfc/scannow but it asked me for the XP repair disk and when I put it in, the program said it was the wrong disc (that's the only disc I have). I also tried to do a repair install of XP but the only option i got was to do a clean re-install which I would like to avoid if at all possible.
    Any other suggestions?

11. bbearren

bbearren

12. lvjudge

lvjudge Thread Starter

New development
    After looking though the forums, I came across this link <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4&DisplayLang=en> to download a new version of windows installer. I did that and then restarted. Now when I try to use Windows installer, I get the error message that an installation is already in progress. But as far as I know there isn't, I just restarted and haven't done anything else...

13. casper0191

casper0191

Well if you keep on messing with your OS a corrupted os might occur. So don't forget on making a back up alright.

14. bbearren

bbearren

15. casper0191

casper0191

But why don't you just try to reconsider Reformatting the computer.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/818727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice