1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows installer takes up ~85% of disk space

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by buffalobillsrul, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buffalobillsrul

buffalobillsrul Thread Starter

Hi all,

So I've been having disk space issues lately on my windows XP machine. After downloading TreeSize, I found that ~67 GB of my ~80 GB hard drive are taken up by Windows Installer Files. These are mostly .msp files (in total, there are 11,657 files taking up 66.7 of the 67 GB).

I've read around and read various things about these files, but I wanted to come here to get some confirmation about how to remove these files (if I can remove these files). It seems like a lot of them are duplicates, I'm looking for a good quick clean way to get rid of the dups, or just a nice simple way to decrease the size of this folder in general without destorying my computer. I see no reason that these files should take up 67 GB.

Specs below.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1022 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon X1300, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 81564 MB, Free - 485 MB; D: Total - 27156 MB, Free - 17812 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0XD720
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice