1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Installer woes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wgallant, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgallant

wgallant Thread Starter

Windows Installer is still messed up on my computer. I've tried all the repair methods suggested on the Microsoft pages, but none have worked. The remaining suggestion is a Windows repair, but I'd like to avoid that drastic step. I don't look forward to reinstalling all the software I've accumulated over the past five years. The Windows updates alone would take the better part of a day.

My question is: can you recommend a program which will remove every trace of MSIEXEC and every registry entry for the installer, so that I would be able to download and install version 3.0? I tried to do this, but upon starting the installation, got a message which said that the present Installer on my system was later than the one I was attempting to install. Seems an aborted install of version 3.1 had left enough traces to appear to have been installed.

I have visited all the so-called Review sites, most of which seem to be pushing a particular utility, no doubt one to which they have an affiliate status. I'm quite unimpressed by RegCure, RegClean, etc. One utility which bills itself as able to fix all Windows Installer errors actually requires MSIEXEC to install. Genius!

I'm starting to get a feeling of desperation.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

For one thing a repair-install is not supposed to take out any of the installed programs or data but a full install will, but it is a good idea to have all of the important data backed up just to be safe.

There is no good registry cleaner made that is reliable. PERIOD......

Try this it is a newer version:

Windows Installer 3.1
    Redistributable (v2) For Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en

If you want to remove a program that shows in add/remove programs that will not remove thru there this utility is just the trick, read first how to use it as it will remove anything that is selected.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

3. wgallant

wgallant Thread Starter

Won't a repair-install remove registry entries for installed software? If it doesn't make a new registry entirely, I don't think it will do the trick for me.

I can't install 3.1 either, as it was an aborted install of that which led to the sorry state of affairs I'm trying to get sorted.

"What a revoltin' development!" Chester A. Riley (Bill Bendix),"The Life of Riley"

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, it keeps the registry for installed programs. The system registry is rebuilt and the MSI installer is (most probably) part of that.

5. wgallant

wgallant Thread Starter

I did the Windows Repair install, the SP2 update, visited Windzupdate and installed four of the 50 updates, and things are looking better.

I tried an install which uses MSIEXEC and it said that I need to update to version 3.1 Uh-oh, that's the bugger which started this whole mess. Guess I'll try it, but only after creating a new restore point.

Everyone, thanks for all the help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice