1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows installer, wording

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Valsion, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Valsion

Valsion Thread Starter

Heya, This isn't necessarily a problem, though it may generate some confusion for new users. When I use the windows installer to uninstall any program, very often if not always, it starts by saying "preparing to install". Conversely, this morning I installed a java update and for a few moments an installation window stated "preparing to remove". The installations or uninstallations complete successfully, regardless. I am rather curious as to why that happens. Do the processes actually begin by installing something when ultimately uninstalling (or by uninstalling something when installing, e.g. an update)? I've noticed that for many years, at least since windows vista onwards, and across many computers. As already stated, this isn't necessarily a problem, and certainly not an urgent one, but I am curious as to its reason. And understanding such details often expands upon one's overall understanding of the operating systems, so it seems worth inquiring about. Thanks in advance for anyone who might be able to provide an explanation.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

I am not 100% sure why it shows "preparing to install" when uninstalling, but would guess the programs installer has to run to enable the uninstall. Either way, that is perfectly normal behavior.

Your observations when updating Java is easier to answer and when you see "preparing to remove" it is doing just that to uninstall the older version before installing the new one.

3. Valsion

Valsion Thread Starter

That makes sense. Your reply is appreciated!

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

You're welcome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice