1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Is Corrupt My Disc Drives Are Un-Installed Can't Boot From CD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AssistMe, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AssistMe

AssistMe Thread Starter

Hello, I would really appreciate some help. here is the status of a computer i'm working on running xp. The registry became corrupt, the computer loads to "windows cannot start because ntsokrnl.exe was not found" I had previously accidently deleted the d drive and the di386 recovery drive. The disc trays were still working, I disconnected and reconnected them from inside and now they still open but I can't boot form a disc at all. I dont know what to do, can you tell me how to boot from a disc again without being able to go on windows at all even in safe mode? Can I install the two drives I deleted without the ability to get on windows? Please help

2. Sponsor

3. AssistMe

AssistMe Thread Starter

Also, and I know I'm asking a lot but I am STUCK, if I can get back to booting from discs (I have my recovery cd) how can I correctly install windows xp. Because before I was having problems and I believe I accidently deleted the system.bak and 2 other files in that realm. I know I'm in a tough spot, I appreciate any or everyone's help. The computer is for a friend of mine who needs it for school.

4. razorwing

razorwing Banned

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

Well from what ive read it sounds like the recovery partition is gone.And your in quite a bit of a fix but i think you know that.If the cd drives have been deleted im not sure how to fix that without reinstalling windows which you cant do at this time. maybe someone else can offer you some help.Ive never deleted my cd/dvd drives and ive never installed windows without a disk.the only thing you might try is hit f12 for the boot order and see if a cd drive is even listed as a choice. if so you can proceed to reinstall windows. If not hopefully someone will have a better answer for you.

6. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Hey Sorry you're having issues- here's one solution:
    Most machines on the original hardware you can invoke the built-in recovery option which doesn't need a CD.
    Start it by pressing CTRL+F11

Then restart and try booting from disc again.

That's IF your cd/rom or the actual windows disc isn't damaged

7. AssistMe

AssistMe Thread Starter

Thank You SO MUCH for the quick and professional reply's everyone I really appreciate it. Here is where I am at : I am able to boot a disc from the second dvd drive thankfully. I am attempting now to repair the windows installation, when it loads up it still tells me windows can not find ntoskrnl.exe. The bootcfg /rebuild command is not working and is telling me to run chkdsk to fix the problem. That is running now when it's done I will reboot and attempt the bootcfg /rebuild again. If it still won't work I will remove that xp partition and install it again from the recovery cd and see if I get a clean install and can actually go onto windows normally.

8. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Try the Repair Console option and run: chkdsk /r
    "chkdsk /r" allows the program to repair locates bad sectors and recovers readable information...

9. AssistMe

AssistMe Thread Starter

Again thank you, here is where I'm at. I attemted to put on windows 7 clean install, everything was fine until I got this message "windows could not set the offline locale information" and the installation cancelled. From what I found this seems to be an hdd issue (the hard drive?) it says it means it's failing and/or not working correctly. I may have another hard drive I can try it with, if not I will attempt to ubstakk xp again with that disc. I will be on again tomorrow thank you all again so much for the adivce.

10. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Formatting the drive failed to resolve the problem? The error message you recieved during installation does mean your drive is possibly damaged and or you don't have enough room to install Windows... Sorry! First try to get the drive repaired if you have data you need backed up if not replace the drive and start over fresh :) Good Luck and let me know how it goes!

11. AssistMe

AssistMe Thread Starter

Hello, all I posted 2 days ago and you were all very helpful although I was'nt able to correct that previous problem. Anyway my issue now is I am attempting a clean install of windows vista I have the vista DVD. My current status is the system loads to a blue screen stating the registry cannot load the hive \systemroot\system32\config\software . It then does a crash dump and restarts. I have looked for solutions, I attemted:

Boot to your CD and choose R (Recovery Console), at the command prompt, type the following:

ren c:\windows\system32\config\software software.old
    copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config

Reboot

When I attempted this command prompt, it took the first command but the second said it could not locate the file. Any help would be greatly appreciated I know it's so close to working.

12. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Welcome back and sorry you're still having issues.
    Repair console is failing becuase your C configuration is corrupt. Next step:
    We're going to try and re-format your drive. I will walk you through it you will have to make sure you delete the partition and create a new one and install windows from scratch which is your best bet.

13. AssistMe

AssistMe Thread Starter

Ok great thank you for replying, how do I re-format my drive?

14. AssistMe

AssistMe Thread Starter

Ok I figured out how to format the drive and start from scratch. I've got the install cd running the installation as I'm typing, I HOPE that was the fix for all the problems I was having. If it installs clean and starts clean I know I'm there! I will post again when I know more.

15. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Okay perfect any issues let me know. You must delete the corrupted partition to re-install a fresh copy- if you need help in how to do so I'll walk you through it.

16. AssistMe

AssistMe Thread Starter

I believe I did the format right, booted from the cd went to install windows clicked the c drive partition then drive options and format.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1023525