1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows is detecting device

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hunny, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hunny

hunny Thread Starter

arrrggghhhhhh!!!! g'd morning everyone!

i'm using windows 98SE (still my fav no matter what they come out with) and am running a cable modem.

suddenly windows started detecting an internal modem that i had never removed since going to cable almost a year ago.

i removed the modem physically this morning, but on boot up, it's still being detected.

do i have to disable something? perhaps the com port in the bios for this prompt to stop or can i disable it in the device manager?

i haven't used a regular dialup modem in ages and have developed a block i guess on how to deal with them.

if i need to provide more info just holler at me to do so!

thanks for any assistance u can offer.

hunny

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Boot into Safe Mode - (tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted);

Right click My Computer; Point to Properties; Click the Device Manager tab; Click the plus sign beside Modems; Highlight each device inside Modems, each in turn, and click the Add/Remove button until no main Modems entry is present.

Restart via the Start button. Reply to this to tell if it worked.

Upon restart Windows will only detect those devices necessary.

3. hunny

hunny Thread Starter

awwwww styxx thanks for ur quick response!! i've gotta run into a meeting, but will try what u've suggested, then reply as soon as i'm out!!

thanks again!!

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

no problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice