1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows is gone; bios is missing; need help to access data

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by anecleto, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anecleto

anecleto Thread Starter

i have an lg x130 netbook with windows 7 starter and lg's built in smart-on operating system.
    yesterday when i opened the computer, the display size was reduced about 33% leaving blank space on the left and the desktop was split in two vertically.

first i used lg system recovery and reboot but nothing changed. also i noticed that lg boot screen was gone.

second i tried to correct the problem by using display settings but the options were grayed.

finally i made an internet search and from the suggestions to related problems decided to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for my video card (no update since it was already the latest version).

when i uninstalled the driver system asked me to restart. i said ok. but it did not boot. no boot screen etc. appeared just black.

i shut down the computer and entered to lg's smart-on system.
    the display size problem was there but everything else was working. so i know that my hd, memory etc is not the problem.

the problem with lg's smart-on system is that it only allows viewing of multimedia files and internet browsing but does not allow to copy files on the hd for back up.

so i have to use a bootable usb disk or external optic drive to access my hd and backup the files.

but i cannot enter bios setup to change the boot sequence.

i tried using all function keys, del, esc, other combinations i found on the net to enter bios setup but nothing worked.

if i send the computer for repair they won't give it back before two weeks. but i need my data before that time. also i don't want to lose my work, e-books and music on the hd.

your help would be appreciated greatly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice