1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows is screwed, need help to save my data!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by migeru, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. migeru

migeru Thread Starter

I have a new PC with Windows XP media center edition 2005 pre-installed, I began to get error messages and my PC would restart by itself randomly, long story short I get some “ Kernal error” (even if I try and start system recovery) message which after some research basically means my system files are messed up and I need to either re-install windows or repair the files.

So because my computer came with no CD’s I had to somehow get a copy of Windows media center edition. So I downloaded Windows XP professional and for some reason I couldn’t get the repair option to appear, apparently the versions of windows need to be the same in order for the repair option to work, ok so now I download Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, but now something odd happens, the CD boots up and sends me directly to this page http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/RC 015.jpg that page looks almost exactly like this except it’s blue and there’s an option to restart my computer. So now I’m scratching my head thinking “why the hell did it send me here?” and I’m not even sure what the page is asking me, I guess it’s asking me if I would like to reinstall windows in one of these drives but I certainly don’t want that, my guess is the version of Windows MCE I downloaded was screwy because someone hacked it and put all 3 CD’s into one.

So I continue reading online and I’m not sure if I got this straight but it’s difficult if not impossible to repair Windows MCE?

Basically my objective is to repair my pc without destroying my files,or some how get the data in my pc (maybe 100gb or so) and save it on my external HD, then reinstall windows. Any ideas?

I was curious what would happened if I installed windows into my d: drive, it’s 8gb’s while leaving my c: drive alone (where all my important data is at) its 240gb yet my cdrive would still have a curropt windows mce installed.:confused:

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

YOur safest bet is to take the drive out and temporarily attach it to a working PC with up to date antivirus to salvage the data. Those downloaded versions of XP you keep using could well contain something other than the operating system . . very risky.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You cannot download a legal copy of XP anywhere, so I is hard to tell what you have. Best bet is to buy a legal retail or OEM copy and try again.

4. fox_antisc

fox_antisc

SUGGESTED FIX:
    DOWNLOAD THIS
    Burn to CD or DVD or Load on Flash Drive [How to 1 or 2.]
    Place disk in drive or flash drive in USB and reboot computer.
    Choose boot from CD or flash drive option and load the boot disk.
    Go to antivirus and run McAfee scan.
    Reboot and go to Ghost and clone the partition with your important data on it.
    Back up your clone to disk or flash drive. OR Use a partitioning program to create a new partition for your sensitive data and copy it there.
    Reboot your machine.

MCE Help:
    Go HERE to get some help with some common issues with MCE. You may have a problem with the program in addition to it being hacked. *Look for "this, this, and this" links*

Go HERE to download the MCE Repair Tool.

That's all for now...

5. migeru

migeru Thread Starter

"clone the partition"

does this mean it will copy/clone my enitre cdrive to my external drive? the problem with that is my cdrive is 250gb and i don't have enough space on my external, i only want about 100gbs or less from the hd

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/555937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice