1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows JPG/Image Problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by fender967, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fender967

fender967 Thread Starter

I have had these two problems for as long as I can remember. First, whenever I right click on any image online, and click 'save target as', instead of having the imagename.jpg in the save popup, it just says untitled.bmp and I can only save as Bitmap.

The other problem is, anytime I save an entire webpage, images included, or once in a while when it actually lets me save a jpg as a jpg, it saves the jpg files as jpe.

I assume these are just setting changes I need to make but i have looked everywhere and can't figure it out.

Thanks for the help

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

3. fender967

fender967 Thread Starter

thank you, that fixes that problem. But still now, when I save jpgs they save as jpe, any idea on that?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Go start-run and type "Regedit" in the window, press enter

When the regedit widows shows, go to this location by clicking the "+"sign in front of the folders in the left hand pane.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - Then scroll to and click "+" sign MIME
    Then Database, then Content Type, then highlight the folder "image/jpeg"

In the right hand pane there should be an entry "Extension" which should have a data value of ".jpe"

Right click on "Extension" and select Modify

Change the Value from jpe tp jpg, and then exit regedit

(File-exit)

This is editing the registry, and the usual warnings apply. Back up all data you cannot afford to lose.

If you are not comfortable editing the registry, then just add ".jpg" to the filename under IE when you save it, irrespective of the JPE in the bottom box. It will save it with the .jpg suffix, and the files are of the same type.

5. fender967

fender967 Thread Starter

thanks for the help

6. fender967

fender967 Thread Starter

Ah, slight problem still. It now works to save images as .jpg instead of just BMP however I followed your steps for fixing the .jpe problem and the file extension was already set at .jpg, but it still saves as .jpe

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/305785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice