1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows kills my network!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by idjk, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. idjk

idjk Thread Starter

I have had a network issue for the past few months. My internet would drop out and the router would have to be restarted. Sometimes it would happen every 5 minutes. Sometimes maybe once a day.

To try to quickly explain all the troubleshooting that has been done, it was determined to have a direct cause of my computer which is windows based. The issue can be directly replicated only with this computer, no other device on the network has been shown to cause issue. (Lot of component isolation going on there!) We use an airport extreme as our wireless router.

The network seems to cut out randomly when my computer is connected to the network. But, if I try to download anything (using any web browser or even software meant for downloading like speedbits download accelerator) after about 5-10 minutes it will crash. After the first crash, trying the same activity once reconnected seems to crash the network much faster, sometimes immediately afterwards. Web browsing on the computer with any of the browsers can randomly cause the crash. It seems to happen in sync with loading a page. The computer cannot communicate with devices like appletvs or a plex server (using both roku and ps3) The computer and device will see each other, but will never connect. Furthermore, attempting to stream to an appletv has caused the network to immediately crash when trying.

I have reinstalled windows 7, tried it across 2 clean installs with software fully up to date and only itunes being the additional install. I have tried it with a clean windows 8 install as well. All same issues. When installing ubuntu 12.10, all issues stop and the network works beautifully. Now, I would just stick with linux, but i really need windows unfortunately.

I have also tried disabling ipv6, and it seemed to help at first. But it is still a major issue. Anyone have any ideas as to what about windows is doing this and what I need to do to fix it?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site if it is an integrated adapter.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I stupidly assumed wireless. If I assumed correctly, does the same problem happen with an ethernet connection?

If this is only with ethernet then, of course, the advice about driver is for the ethernet, and you can forget the Xirrus.

4. idjk

idjk Thread Starter

It is over wireless. The drivers are all up to date, that was my first thing to check.

I attached a screenshot of Xirrus. Here is the ipconfig output:

ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : iDjk
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ok.cox.net

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ok.cox.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin USB Wireless Adaptor
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-86-3B-0A-DE-60
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.24(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:56:06 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 21, 2013 11:01:29 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-2B-34-AA-A9-99
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Attached Files:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And, specifically, the wireless driver is the latest on Belkin's web site, not whatever Windows or some "drivers" application found, right?

There have been unexplained cases of Vista knocking out a wireless network, especially it seems with an Apple router. Don't remember encountering such a Windows 7 problem, but could be.

I suggest that you try with encryption disabled. If that cures the problem then try with WPA-PSK (not WPA2) to see what happens.

If the same problem happens with encryption disabled try another adapter--not Belkin (not because I'm dissin' Belkin, but just to try a different brand).

6. idjk

idjk Thread Starter

I uninstalled the drivers and installed the latest from belkins site just to make sure I had a clean install of the latest drivers. Everything seemed like it had fixed the issue, I was able to do a stress test that usually knocked it out quickly for a while. But... then it went down! Issue persists.

We have tried without encryption. In fact, we only have encryption because we thought originally maybe it was a neighbor getting on our network.

I could try another adapter, but honestly if it works with Linux it should be able to work with windows. And I would rather not spend $50 to find out I have the same problem with another brand.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I agree.

8. idjk

idjk Thread Starter

So am I SOL? Or are there any other ideas as to what could be causing it?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice