1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows live essentials screwed up my dvd - Help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by coolcomet, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coolcomet

coolcomet Thread Starter

:confused: after installing windows live essentials, i lost partial use of my dvd drive...i can burn to it, but can not read from it...when a disc is inserted it makes a whirring sound like its going to do something but nothing happens...everything looks as it should - the cd/dvd shows up in device manager (says working properly) and when i go to update driver i'm told my device is up to date...i'm using a sony vaio, windows 7 64-bit (i noticed that my dvd driver says 32-bit - don't know if this matters???)...i've looked online for a resolution but nothing seems to be of any help for my specific problem or too technical for me to understand...any ideas on how to easily fix this problem? i've been 8 days without it and am getting really frustrated. thanks.

2. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

1. Did you get error messages whilst installing Windows Live Essentials?
    2. Do you have more than one user account in you PC? If so, how does the Optical drive work when accessed using those accounts?

3. coolcomet

coolcomet Thread Starter

hi...thanks for responding...
    1. i'm sorry, it's been 9 days now...i don't remember if i got an error message when i installed wle (but i seem to get error messages all the time so...maybe???) i tried repairing wle as well but still no dvd drive
    2. no i only have owner account

4. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

Create another account and try reading a disc. :)

5. coolcomet

coolcomet Thread Starter

you're a genius...yes i have access to my dvd drive using another account...but how do i bring my dvd back to the original account?

6. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

I guess your main account is messed up. Here's what I'd advise:

1. Download and Install CCleaner.
    2.Open CCleaner and click on 'Registry' at the left side. Now, click on 'Scan for issues' and wait for the scan to complete. After the scan, click on 'Fix Selected Issues'.
    3. Now, click on 'Cleaner' and click 'Analyse', then hit 'Run Cleaner'.

--

Hopefully, doing these should clean up the mess in your registry. Restart your PC and see if you can read CD/DVDs from your main account.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice