1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Live Mail 2011

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by whippet85, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whippet85

whippet85 Thread Starter

How do I remove imap.gmail.com from my Windows Live mail 2011 account? I had synchronized my windows email with gmail, and I no longer want to do that. I can't seem to find a way to keep gmail from checking my mail through my Windows Live Mail account. I'm afraid if I delete my gmail account I would no longer have access to my Windows Live Mail account.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Trusted Advisor

3. whippet85

whippet85 Thread Starter

Yes, I have already tried that. When I disable imap in gmail, I no longer can send or receive mail in Windows Live Mail because Windows Live Mail was configured for gmail. I cannot find a way to eliminate this configuration.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Are you saying that you use the Windows Live Mail 2011 email client and no longer want to access your gmail account using it? If so, can't you just delete/remove the unwanted account?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What other account do you have set up in Windows Live Mail? It's just a client that allows you to access various e-mail accounts.

6. whippet85

whippet85 Thread Starter

What I mean is that I have always used Windows Live Mail 2011 as my mail client. I had a gmail account that I liked to use when I was not at my computer. I decided that I would configure my gmail account with my Windows Mail Account so that mail being sent to my Windows Live Mail account would also be received in my gmail account. I configured it using IMAP. My Windows Live Mail account now using imap.gmail.com to receive and send mail. If I disable IMAP in gmail I no longer am able to receive or send mail in my Windows Live Mail account. I would like to know how I can get back to the way it was before I did the configuration. I cannot find a way to reverse this configuration.

7. whippet85

whippet85 Thread Starter

I do not have any other account set up in Windows Live Mail 2011.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I do not understand "Windows Mail Account" nor "Windows Live Mail account." The free "Hotmail" service is sometimes referred to as "Window Live Hotmail"; is that what you mean by either or both?

You have only your gmail account set up in Windows Live Mail 2011 (WLM) but do not wish to continue accessing gmail through it? Just stop using WLM, else delete the gmail account and set up a different account. I worry that I am missing something here.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you don't have any other accounts set up in Windows Live Mail, then when you stop using it with your Gmail account, you obviously won't be using it at all.

10. whippet85

whippet85 Thread Starter

I do not use Hotmail to send email, I use Windows Live Mail 2011. I do not want to stop using it. I also have a Gmail account that I had not used previously. Several weeks ago I decided I would like to try to use Gmail along with my WLM 2011 account. I configured Gmail with my WLM using IMAP. After using Gmail this way for several weeks, I decided I do not like it. I would like to undo the process and go back using WLM only. Now when I check for mail in my WLM account, it first checks for new mail in my Gmail account, then it checks for mail in my WLM account. The new messages then appear in both accounts. I want to revert back to the way my mail was handled before I configured the 2 accounts. I want to have 2 separate accounts again. I would even go as far as deleting my Gmail account. What I am afraid of if I do this is that I would no longer be able to use my WLM account since the 2 accounts were configured together. I have gone into my Gmail settings and disabled IMAP. When I do this, I am unable to use my WML account. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows Live Mail is a program. It is not an e-mail service. If you only have your Gmail account configured in Windows Live Mail, and you remove that, then there will be no accounts set up to send and receive e-mail.

12. whippet85

whippet85 Thread Starter

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am aware that WLM is an e-mail program and not a service. I use Time Warner roadrunner as my provider and had my e-mail sent through this service using WLM. I have figured out how to remove the Gmail account from my WLM program. I have things back where I want them, and all my mail composed in WLM is sent through roadrunner.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036396