1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Live Mail/Comcast/mail server settings needed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TanToes, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TanToes

TanToes Thread Starter

Please need to solve, at this time, the following, and believe I need the server settings and other info. I am a dunce with Windows 7, and it never did play well with Comcast...just that with XP I could fumble it into place myself. Now, the Comcast techs are lost, or just do not want to help me reconfigure it into Windows Live Mail (as the whole problem was created by their instructions on how to set up pay on line! Incredible, hmm?)

The connection to the server has failed.
    Subject 'Re: Find your true friend'
    Server: 'smtp.comcast.net'
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
    Protocol: SMTP
    Port: 25
    Secure(SSL): No
    Socket Error: 10060
    Unable to send or receive messages for the Hotmail (Napolina222) (1) account. The host '@comcast.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.
    Server: comcast.net'
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D
    Protocol: POP3
    Port: 587
    Secure(SSL): Yes
    Socket Error: 11003
    Unable to send or receive messages for the Comcast (TanToes) (1) account. The host could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.
    Server:
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Here are the Comcast settings tailored for Windows Mail; the settings should be the same for Windows Live Mail.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James

POP3 without SSL is generally is 110. With SSL, it's 995. Port 587 is for outgoing (SMTP) and is used with TLS

Also note the username does not have @comcast.net, just your username

4. TanToes

TanToes Thread Starter

I need a tutorial from the beginning. Comcast tech one started the mess...the following techs compounded it with the 'instructions'. (This all started out with a tech supposedly helping me set up pay on line). Each one has dug a deeper hole and their print instructions are out of date as far as looking familiar with Widows 7 and whatever Beta Windows Live Mail I WAS using.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using a Beta version of any program is usually not advised when you are having trouble like this; too difficult to separate program bugs from real issues. Suggest you either settle on the released Windows Live Mail 2011 or the prior version. Then somebody with experience with both your chosen version and Comcast may give you a step-by-step tutorial. Otherwise, you will need to use the information in the link I gave and the info Couriant gave to work your way through fixing your account information.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I was about to suggest just using Windows Mail until you get Windows Live Mail solved. But, I see that you twice said you are actually running Windows 7 so I moved your thread from Vista to the Windows 7 forum.

7. TanToes

TanToes Thread Starter

Thank you....I have Windows 7, Windows Live Mail 2011 or whatever...oh, and Comcast (who's slogan should be 'Live from Bombay to Ruin your Day')

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Terry Windows Mail does not exist in Windows 7, there is no installed email program so Live Mail is the only choice. Couriant's instructions are spot on and mail.comcast.net and smtp.comcast.net are correct.The only other thing is to check in "server settings" outgoing "the server requires authentication" and it should work. Comcast should be able to guide you through this correctly if you just can't make it work anyway.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I know, Rich. :) This thread was in the Vista forum until immediately before post # 6.

The only free Microsoft choice. Thunderbird continues to work just fine for me. :)

10. TanToes

TanToes Thread Starter

I don't question Curiant's advice...I simply am pointing out that there IS a version of Windows Live Mail (2011) that look NOTHING like the tutorial print/'photos' in comcast's instructions. I don't recall seeing anything like that since XP

11. TanToes

TanToes Thread Starter

...btw, AM receiving email to some extent now...and the error messages are different, but fewer, so am plugging something in correctly from old Outlook / Outlook Express settings.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I just notice something... the host @comcast.net is wrong. Follow the link from TerryNet's original post and make sure it mimic that.

Also from that, make sure that in the Advanced tab, make sure that secure connection (SSL) is not checked for outgoing or incoming and make sure the ports are 25 for out and 110 for in and try that.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/967871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice