1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows Live Mail Import Problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by b1rd, Nov 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. b1rd

b1rd Thread Starter

Hi and thanks for taking the time to look over my question. If it has already been posted, then I apologize, but I could not find it.

I've just upgraded to Win-10 from XP and I'm having an issue with Windows Live Mail 2012. Specifically, the contacts import feature.

I was using XP Home with Outlook Express as my email client. I did export both a .WAB (addressbook) file, as well as a .CSV file from my address book. However, I am not able to "import" it to the Windows Live Mail. At least I'm not able to get the contacts to show up in there.

The import option seems to go through the motions and appears to be working as it should, but when I hit the "To..." button to load a recipient's email address, there are no contacts displayed. It just says; "None of your contacts have an email address defined." I did google the problem, but I really did not find a solution.

The contacts seemed to load fine in the address book and I can see everybody's email addresses, so I'm not sure why I'm getting this error.

I should note that when I imported the contacts, Windows Contacts noted that one of the email addresses was bad, which is an indication that it did import something. Also, I did try using both files (.WAB / .CSV) a couple different times and no change.

[​IMG]

TIA
    b1rd

2. lakrsrool

lakrsrool

Make sure your logged into your Microsoft Account (WLM) however way you do this (I sign in via Hotmail login (maybe you do via Outlook), if you are signed-in then your address book should work.

If you still have the problem then follow these steps (logged into your MS Account of course):
    1) Open up Windows Live Mail
    2) Look down at the lower left for a series of icons.
    3) Select "Contacts" the icon that looks like a book.
    4) In the window that comes up, go to the top left icon "File", click on it (if these series of tools are not available, go to the top right and click on the little icon called "menus" then select "show toolbar". That will bring up "file, edit view" etc.) Look for "Import", hover and you will see "select the format for the contacts that you're importing"
    5) Select "Import contacts".
    6) Select whichever applies to import your contacts, i.e. "Address Book for Current Windows User" or whatever applies in your case.

You should now be able to see your email addresses.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  3. b1rd

b1rd Thread Starter

Thank-you for the very easy-to-follow suggestion.

I am having a few problems and I'm hoping that I'm missing something right in front of me.
    I followed your instructions, however I am not able to find that top left icon that you indicated in step #4, or it's not working as described.

There is the icon that you mentioned, however there are no windows or sub-menus that appear when I hover over anything around the top-left corner.

I did try this while in the Windows live box, as well as the Windows contacts box.

4. lakrsrool

lakrsrool

You have to click on the icon, (I just mentioned the "hover" because you get a tooltip explaining the button when you do this).

When you click on the icon you then get the drop-down list to continue the steps.

5. lakrsrool

lakrsrool

Your version of WLM maybe different, you may have a little icon at the top-right of your WLM interface called "menus" (I don't have this) if so then select "show toolbar". That will presumably bring up "file, edit view" etc. that you can use to do the same thing I've enumerated above.

6. b1rd

b1rd Thread Starter

Hey lakrsool- A big thanks!

I did not find that icon on the upper right either, however I did play around a bit and found something that offer a drop-down menu, along with an import option, so I tried that and it worked. I went to see what I did, and I am no longer able to find that same option. (I'm wondering is it's not showing because I already imported things)

Also, I do have the WAB, which has shown valid email addresses all along, but that did not seem to work. However things seem to be working now, so now comes the learning curve from OE to Windows Live Mail. (I did note that I do have to be signed in, as you mentioned, in order to see the contacts, even though I really don't use MS mail. However, I was able to stop it from synchronizing with the other email account when I check my mail, so it's really a non-issue.)

Again, thanks. And if it's applicable- Happy Thanksgiving.

b1rd

7. lakrsrool

lakrsrool

Your welcome, don't forget to mark the topic "SOLVED". (y)

Btw, what was the "Import contacts" method that you selected in step 6?

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. ;)

jscomtc likes this.
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1161135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice