1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Live Mail not handling pictures correctly

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DKTaber, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Have an aggravating issue with Windows Live Mail (WLM). When I forward some (not all) e-mails that contain several embedded pictures, all lined up vertically, WLM automatically converts the pictures to attachments and displays them in the header with a link under them saying "View slide show". When it does that, it also leaves empty picture place holders and any text that was under them in the e-mail (instead of removing them), so when you go to send the message, you get a pop-up saying that one or more of the pictures in this e-mail cannot be found.

WLM's conversion process is apparently also a resource hog. I noticed that immediately after clicking 'Forward', the (Core i7+ 6GB RAM) laptop became sluggish/unresponsive to keystrokes with many intermittent instances of the mouse pointer changing to the "busy circle".

I have tried checking and unchecking the Compose option for Photo emails (what's a "photo email"?) that says, "Covert messages to photo emails when adding photos", an option that I actually don't understand, but it makes no difference whether it's checked or unchecked.

WLM is only on my Win 7 laptop. My desktop is Win XP and uses Outlook Express (OE). OE has no problem at all; the forwarded message goes out exactly as I got it -- all pictures embedded and lined up vertically. I also have Thunderbird on both computers. It, too, has no problem/forwards the e-mail exactly as received.

What option/setting do I need to change to prevent WLM from converting embedded pictures to attachments?

2. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

After posting this thread, I did some additional searches on the issue and found what appears to be a great solution at the Windows Secrets Lounge (WSL) forums here. If you don't want to read that post, here's an "executive summary": This problem exists only with recent versions of Windows Live Mail (vers. 11 and 12 for sure; don't know about 10). I uninstalled WLM 12 from my Win 7 laptop, found WLM 09 on FileHippo.com, downloaded and installed it. WLM 09 forwards the problem e-mails (where WLM 12 converted embedded pictures to attachments, leaving blank picture placeholders and attendant text in the reading pane) like Outlook Express would; that is, PERFECTLY!!!

As I said in my post on WSL, WLM 11 and -12 are examples of a disturbing trend with Microsoft products: New versions provide less and/or incompetent functionality. Not only does ver. 09 handle pictures properly, it does not use the *&^% ribbon that takes up an acre of screen room on a laptop and retained the background color feature that OE had and was dropped in vers. 11 and 12. While the latter may not mean much to most users, I provide tech support to a woman who had a stroke and is sight impaired. Having a yellow background with large-font black letters allows her to read e-mails she would otherwise not be able to. Why M$ dropped that feature is another mystery.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice