1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Live Mail - Sent Mail folder - Multiple IMAP accounts including Gmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Sessenn, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sessenn

Sessenn Thread Starter

I use the new Windows Live Mail client to access two IMAP accounts, Gmail and one provided by my University. Gmail works such that whenever you send an email through it, it automatically puts a copy in the Sent Mail folder. So if the WLM client tries to put a copy there as well, you end up with two copies of the email in the Sent Mail folder. The University IMAP account doesn't work like this. A copy will only appear in the Sent Mail folder for that account if the client program puts a copy there.

So the problem is the way WLM handles this. Most IMAP settings are specific to the account. You right click on an account, go to settings, and then go to the IMAP section and specify the folders and stuff like that. However, the option of whether or not WLM puts a copy of an email you send in the Sent Mail folder can only be set for the entire client.

In Tools->Options->Send is the checkbox for this option. If it's checked, I get a single copy of sent mail in the University account and two copies in Gmail. If it is unchecked I get no copies for the University account and just one for Gmail.

Does anyone know a way to fix this?

edit: Oh, and a side question, is it possible to make WLM stop showing the number of unread emails in the trash or spam? They're in there because I have no intention of reading them. I don't care how many are unread.

2. Sessenn

Sessenn Thread Starter

So.... a tough one, eh?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't have a clue about Windows Live Mail. If you get tired messin' with it try something else. I use Thunderbird and it has the separate settings you describe.

I doubt that in Thunderbird you can turn off showing unread messages. But, the folders you see can be All Folders, Recent Folders, Unread Folders or Favorite Folders. I always use Favorite Folders, and there I have selected only the Inbox and Sent for my two most used accounts. Then once in awhile I look at one of the other views for Junk mail or new mail in one of my additional accounts.

4. Sessenn

Sessenn Thread Starter

Actually I was using Thunderbird before. It works well and all, but I didn't like the way it replied to messages. When you hit reply on an email, it just says "Name said..." or something like that. Was pretty lame, especially for long conversations that go back and forth a lot. I actually found an addon that let you customize it a bit, but even that didn't put it quite the way I wanted it. I really like the way it works in WLM.

Both WLM and Thunderbird are funny about how they handle folders. They are different from eachother, but both have limitations that don't make sense to me. In WLM, you can point to folders with whatever names you want, but they all have to be in the same directory on the server (which is almost always the case) or else you have to edit config files to make it work. These settings are specific to account, which makes sense, but then they go and put the option of whether to put a copy in 'sent mail' or not client wide instead of account specific, causing my problem here.

Thunderbird, on the other hand, has a different problem. It lets you specify things specific to account like whether or not a copy of mail is put in 'sent mail' and even what to do with email that you delete. It doesn't, however, let you specify the name of the trash folder! Rediculous! Luckily, Gmail uses 'Trash' as the trash folder, which is what Thunderbird expects. And luckier still, I was able to change the folder name on the other account from 'Deleted Items' (or something like that) to 'Trash', but otherwise I would have had to edit config files again.

Anyway, aside from this one 'sent mail' problem, which isn't that big a deal for me because I don't send much mail with the second account, at least none that I care to save, I like WLM better all around. If only I could fix this one problem, then it would be perfect.

edit: Oh, and 21,953 posts. Wow. Just wow. Quite impressive...

5. Sessenn

Sessenn Thread Starter

Just tried Outlook 2007 on a friends computer and it seems even worse. When using IMAP, there doesn't seem to be any way to control what folders are used for what at all. The trash folder is 'Deleted Items', spam is 'Junk E-mail', and I can't see how to change them. Outlook does let you specify the name of the folder to put sent items in and it is specific to account, but it doesn't give you the option NOT to save a copy. So for Gmail, your option is to either have two copies in Gmail's Sent folder, or a copy there and another copy stored on your computer. And there don't seem to be any choices about deletion at all. It just puts strikeouts through emails you "delete" and you have to purge them later for them to actually go away.

I am baffled by these programs. Why is it so hard for these companies to just make an IMAP client that lets you specify the name of all the different folders, what to do with each of them, and have these settings be account specific. Is that really so hard?

6. Sessenn

Sessenn Thread Starter

So is this impossible then?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/810862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice