1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Live Mail vs.Gmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by legality, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. legality

legality Thread Starter

I'm using Windows 7, Internet Explorer 9, and Windows Live Mail via my Comcast.net e-mail server. I wish to continue to use WLM, but when my son visited several months ago, he installed Mozilla Firefox because that's the ISP he uses. He also installed his Gmail account and gave me a Gmail account as well (I never asked for it).

Fast forward: Until about a week ago, I never had any problems with my WLM, but I've recently noticed that I'm not receiving all my e-mails through WLM. I noticed this because I recently got an iPad 2 (e-mail is also set up for my Comcast account) and it was showing e-mails that were not showing up in WLM. This is also happening in reverse, i.e., e-mails appearing in WLM are not all showing up on my iPad.

So, I jumped over to Gmail and it was loaded with ALL my e-mails, past and current. Also, my Google calendar which I rely upon and which has always worked in Internet Explorer, is no longer loading and is in a redirect loop. However, if I go over to Firefox, Google calendar loads just fine and I can also load Google calendar on my iPad. When I tried to add my Comcast account to Gmail, it said it already exists.

I don't like the intrusions by Google and from all I've heard, they're not only famous for causing conflicts with other ISP's and e-mail programs, but they're also introducing upgrades to their system which makes intrusions even worse.

QUERY: How do I get rid of my Gmail account, Mozilla Firefox, and just revert back to WLM? I need to make absolutely certain that if I get rid of Gmail, I won't be getting rid of WLM as well. Thank you.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Firefox has nothing to do with ISP's. You can keep it or get rid of it independently of any connections.

You can simply uninstall any programs you don't want.

Gmail is a web-based mail program, so if you don't want to use it, all you have to do is not go to their web site to get your mail. The only way mail could have gone to Gmail instead of elsewhere is if it was addressed to Gmail. That could happen if someone had set up an account so that all mail was forwarded to Gmail as well.

It would be best to have the person who set it up dismantle it because that is the only person who knows the details.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Your son probably configured your new Gmail account to get all of your Comcast e-mail as well. Go into your Gmail account mail settings, and you'll see your Comcast e-mail account listed.

If you were already using "Google Calendar", then you had a Gmail account. As far as I know, you can't have one without the other. You either have a Google account or you don't.

4. legality

legality Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. Yes, as soon as I sent the inquiry, I realized my mistake about calling Firefox my son's ISP when it's actually his browser. As far as I know, ALL e-mail was coming to me at WLM without a hitch. I can't understand why the mail is suddenly coming to Gmail but not to WLM. As a matter of fact, I just checked my WLM to see the message that you had replied to my inquiry, but it's not there. However, it is in Gmail.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

As I said, your son probably configured Gmail to actually receive your Comcast e-mail. That means you'll never see any of it in WLM. You have to go into your Gmail account and change the settings to no longer collect e-mail from your Comcast account.

This seems to be a feature not everyone here is familiar with. You can actually use Gmail as your primary e-mail program, and set it up to check any other web, POP, or IMAP account.

I can't answer your question about your calendar since it seems to me you now have 2 Google accounts, and I don't know how you're checking that or configuring it with a local client program.

6. legality

legality Thread Starter

Thank you so much........you were right. When I checked the setup in Gmail, it showed Comcast as mail to receive. When I deleted Comcast, all my mail came whizzing right back into Comcast. I have no idea how that happened in the first place because I never changed any configurations in Gmail and the problem didn't exist a few days ago. Hmmmmm?????

Anyway, thanks again so much.

Legality

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Someone logged into your Gmail account, and set it up that way. It didn't happen on its own. You might want to change that account's password to something your son doesn't know.

8. legality

legality Thread Starter

DoubleHelix, you are right, but that someone who set it up that way was probably me. I seem to recall going into Gmail recently and adjusting the settings to make sure my Comcast mail was also coming into Gmail. Somehow, I must have done something that re-routed the Comcast/WLM to Gmail which sort of explains why nothing was going into WLM UNLESS I actually sent it to myself from WLM. I would send myself test messages to make sure WLM was working and those test messages came in to WLM. Mail sent to me via Comcast from outside WLM appears to have been diverted to Gmail.

I have no other explanation. At any rate, by removing Comcast from the settings in Gmail my WLM mail has been restored. Thanks so much for your assistance. I'm not particularly computer-wise, so I'm bound to make mistakes here and there.

Legality

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Why would you log into the new Gmail account your son created and route all e-mail to that address and then wonder why all e-mail was going to Gmail? Something about that doesn't make sense.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably the answer is:

The important thing is that you were able to guide legality to a satisfactory result. :)

legality, I'm not sure if you are yet clear on the difference between an email service, such as Comcast's or gmail's, and an email client (program), such as Windows Live Mail 2011.

Most email services (including Comcast and gmail) can be accessed via either their web mail interface using a browser (such as Internet Explorer or Firefox) or using an email client. Just as you have set up the WLM email client to access your Comcast mail you could also set it up to access your gmail mail.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1040527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice