1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Live Mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Diephaus, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Diephaus

Diephaus Thread Starter

My ISP, Comcast, emailed me (&others) to stop using PORT 25 for incoming mail; switch to port 465 to stop spam, malware, etc. I did and now nothing works!! Two outgoing mails have never been sent (message: server has terminated session). I am not getting mail I would normally expect. Is this port switch necessary? How do I go back to where I was? Thanks, Ed

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Gee, this sounds familiar. I just this morning finally got a friend sending mail again after that "simple" change.

The change is for outgoing, not incoming mail. Change the outgoing (SMTP) port to 465, and the incoming should still be what it was before.

What email client are you using?

3. Diephaus

Diephaus Thread Starter

I am using Windows Live email. I just switched as you recommended: back to port 25 for incoming and 465 for outgoing. . Can't wait to see if it helps or hurts!
    Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know. Ed

4. Diephaus

Diephaus Thread Starter

Well it hurt. Got this message:
    " Unable to send or receive messages for the Comcast account. The connection to the server has failed.

Server: 'pop3.comcast.net'
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
    Protocol: POP3
    Port: 465
    Secure(SSL): Yes
    Socket Error: 10060 "

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Had I looked at your Thread title I would not have needed to ask for your email client. :eek:

You have some settings messed up I think. Please see Configure Windows Live Mail 2011 for XFINITY® Email. Even if you have a version of WLM newer or older than 2011 the configuration should be the same or very similar.

6. Diephaus

Diephaus Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice. I will check out the lead you offered. Ed

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Albert, that looks like an exact copy w/o pictures from the link I gave. If/when you have a need to copy please give the reference, else it can be copyright infringement.

8. Diephaus

Diephaus Thread Starter

Thanks to all who helped. Let see how it all goes today. THX! Ed

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The settings above should be correct. Please copy any errors you may get.

10. Diephaus

Diephaus Thread Starter

The mail handler seems to work fine after following the directions. Got mail and sent mail. BUT, a new message everytime says: "The certificate this server is using cannot be authenticated. Do you wish to continue anyhow?" OR words to that effect. Control-C would not copy the pop-up nor would a right mouse click. I chose proceed anyhow. Is this related or just a new Comcast stupidity? Ed

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Make sure the textboxes in the certificate section of the email properties are blank. This sounds like something on Comcast's side:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice