Windows live mail

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mizzcorrie

hi .. my windows live mail not receiving or sending .get error message

Unable to send or receive messages for the corrie ancone account. An unknown error has occurred.

Server: 'mail.optusnet.com.au'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800C013E
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

OK....so how exactly are you checking your emails. What exact steps? Do you open a mail software?

If it's the live mail that was in windows 7, that's been discontinued for some years now. It's now Outlook.com and web based. Meaning you have to use a browser to check your emails.

mizzcorrie

OK....so how exactly are you checking your emails. What exact steps? Do you open a mail software?

If it's the live mail that was in windows 7, that's been discontinued for some years now. It's now Outlook.com and web based. Meaning you have to use a browser to check your emails.
on my pc with an outlook account via Windows Live Mail!!!
are you a technician??

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
on my pc with an outlook account via Windows Live Mail!!!
are you a technician??
Please be advised, this site is a free forum board that has members from all walks of life, from an novice user to IT moguls and they donate their time to help others with their knowledge. The hardest part of this, and coming from an technical position that is only blind troubleshooting, so we would need to ask questions just so we can get an idea of what you are seeing. So some people have different ways to troubleshoot and sometimes, as I have done, may miss some information that was posted before. Please be patient with us so we can get you on the right direction (which we will... eventually ;) )

So to confirm, you are receiving this error when you are sending/receiving email. The error includes the words Windows Live Mail, which would indicate Windows Live Mail as your email program.

From what I have seen, the error code seems to be referring more to the email program crashing out, rather than a send/receive error, so that does not help here.

This issue seems to occur from when people have upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Is this the case for you? If not, then the next step is to change the settings. Using POP without SSL (secure connection) is really outdated. The information that Goddess mentioned would be the information you need to change, with the additional possible setting for SMTP to be port 587 and use TLS or STARTTLS. If you need directions, we can provide them.

Absolute worse case, we can help you clear the account and set it up with IMAP instead, which would be more preferred.

mizzcorrie

Please be advised, this site is a free forum board that has members from all walks of life, from an novice user to IT moguls and they donate their time to help others with their knowledge. The hardest part of this, and coming from an technical position that is only blind troubleshooting, so we would need to ask questions just so we can get an idea of what you are seeing. So some people have different ways to troubleshoot and sometimes, as I have done, may miss some information that was posted before. Please be patient with us so we can get you on the right direction (which we will... eventually ;) )

So to confirm, you are receiving this error when you are sending/receiving email. The error includes the words Windows Live Mail, which would indicate Windows Live Mail as your email program.

From what I have seen, the error code seems to be referring more to the email program crashing out, rather than a send/receive error, so that does not help here.

This issue seems to occur from when people have upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Is this the case for you? If not, then the next step is to change the settings. Using POP without SSL (secure connection) is really outdated. The information that Goddess mentioned would be the information you need to change, with the additional possible setting for SMTP to be port 587 and use TLS or STARTTLS. If you need directions, we can provide them.

Absolute worse case, we can help you clear the account and set it up with IMAP instead, which would be more preferred.
i've been with Windows10 for some time .. had this email program running ok for quite some time ...
.i have attached my properties .. which nos do i change...as there is outgoing & in going etc.

mizzcorrie

thank you
i've been with Windows10 for some time .. had this email program running ok for quite some time ...
.i have attached my properties .. which nos do i change...as there is outgoing & in going etc.
i have tried inserting 587 ..ticking SSL boxes etc.. applied.... no luck though!!

Attachments

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Add a tick to my ‘outgoing server requires authentication‘ & change security to logon using authenticated POP.

Does the account use 2-step authentication? If so then you’ll require an app specific password.

Many ISPs are moving over to imap, this is useful if you have the account on more than one device as any changes made on one device will reflect on the others.
You can try creating the account again using imap servers & see if this fixes the problem.
You can also set up the account using Windows Mail app to see if you can send & receive mails.

mizzcorrie

Add a tick to my ‘outgoing server requires authentication‘ & change security to logon using authenticated POP.

Does the account use 2-step authentication? If so then you’ll require an app specific password.

Many ISPs are moving over to imap, this is useful if you have the account on more than one device as any changes made on one device will reflect on the others.
You can try creating the account again using imap servers & see if this fixes the problem.
You can also set up the account using Windows Mail app to see if you can send & receive mails.
im assuming you mean with all the above changes too??? if so it did not work... and nor just changing that one thing..

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
What about the 2-step authentication? Did you replace the account password with the app specific one?

Try adding the account within the Windows Mail app. If this works then Wl Mail is too old for the account’s security level.

mizzcorrie

What about the 2-step authentication? Did you replace the account password with the app specific one?

Try adding the account within the Windows Mail app. If this works then Wl Mail is too old for the account’s security level.
dont understand this 2 step authentication.. dont think i have that?..just have pass word for outlook and a separate one for optus acct.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Not all ISPs/email providers have this.
Are you currently a customer/do you have an active account?
Can you log in to webmail & send & receive ok there?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online