1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Live Messenger 9 - error: 800702e4

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by emjoliz, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emjoliz

emjoliz Thread Starter

Hello,

A few months back, I downloaded WLM9 and could sign in for a few minutes, but then I'd receive a "platform error" message. I tried solving the problem using the "official website" but couldn't, and so went back to using 8.5.

I downloaded it again a while later, thinking the problem may have been due to it being in the beta stages. I couldn't sign in. Then this weekend I had to upgrade, and the error is still there. It says that the "service is temporarily unavailable" but doesn't even attempt to sign in. The error code is 800702e4.

I've searched online and found no useful information, other than it's happened to other people who tried to solve the "platform error" issue! The time/date is correct, I've clicked "allow" on my firewall (I use Norton 360 - apparently this may have been causing problems in the first place), I've even tried disabling the anti-virus/firewall... the only thing that seemed to help a bit was something to do with "msconfig" I think - I disabled something like "____ UAC" and it attempted to sign in (I didn't bother letting it finish - assumed it was matterless if it worked in this way since I needed to enable the "UAC" thing again). When I did enable it again, the error was back.

I also have problems getting onto my inbox. I have to uncheck the "Check for server certificate revocation" button on Internet Explorer to get onto it, and every time I restart, it's automatically checked again (even though I've tried to prevent this - I've read that this is also to do with Norton). I don't know if this has anything to do with it. If not, I'm not really bothered - I don't check my account that often since it's usually filled with junk!

I'm not sure what other information might help, other than I use Vista...

Anyway, fingers crossed somebody can help me!!

Emily

2. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

3. emjoliz

emjoliz Thread Starter

I'm not sure if it is the problem now. I think it may have been in the first place, but I think the new error is because I changed something I shouldn't have changed :eek: I might have a go at removing it though, and see if it makes any difference! :)

Emily

4. Mi68

Mi68

Hi!!!I had your problem too but I just resolved and if I can help you would be nice as I know how frustrating it can be to be wothout messenger!!!

After upgrading to messenger 2009 I got windows live messenger platform error,

After help from a google notice I went to change settings in wlcomm.exe that you can find in C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts and In COMPATIBILITY I made a sign for launch as adminstrator...and also for windoes server 2003(servicepack 1)

I have WINDOW VISTA HOME PREMIUM on my laptop.

Changing this settings I gor rid of the platform problem but messenger still did not
    work.I now got up error 800702e4 (same as yours!!)

So I went to Start-CONTROL PANEL- USER ACCOUNT- ACTIVATE or DISACTIVATE
    USER ACCOUNT CONTROL

Here I took away the sign on "To protect the computer use user account control (UAC )"

After a rebboot of the computer windows live messenger opened automatically in normal way....I was very happy about that!!!!

If you did not resolve yet I hope that I have been able to help you with this!!!!

Monika

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/875615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice