1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows live messenger bombing out

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by screamingmurder, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screamingmurder

screamingmurder Thread Starter

I purchased a new computer last november. I am computer illiterate but know it is an optima system.

since then i have had difficulty with windows live messenger

i could log into messenger ok, but the system appeared to automatically kick me out with no error message, it would simply say i could not send messages because i was not online.

it would allow me to log in again, but would kick me out almost immediately. this preocess would repeat itself about 5 or six times then messenger would allow me to remain logged in and i was able to chat for approx 45 minutes or so before it would start kicking me out again. Usually by that stage I'd had enough and wouldn't attempt to log back in.

I experienced the same trouble recently and ended up uninstalling windows messenger altogether, then reinstalled it. I experienced the same initial trouble but only 3-4 times before things settled down.

Now for the weird part... the following day when I went to log into messenger I found that I had version 4.7 (from 2004) installed. this was definitley NOT the version I had installed the previous day (messenger 2008 with some digits after it).

I uninstalled messenger and resinstalled the latest version again, then re-started my computer and found I had version 4.7 once more.

The older version has not given me any grief with kicking me out, but I dont have a cute little phot with my profile and it's not a pretty as the latest version.

Does anyone out there have any idea what's going on because I am completely flummoxed....

Help me Tech Guy you're my only hope.....

2. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

if it's coming up as version 4.7 that sounds to me like you are starting windows messenger and not windows live messenger. Look in your start menu for Windows Live Messenger, both can exist together on a computer and Windows Messenger 4.7 comes preinstalled with WinXP.

If you don't have Live Messenger installed go here
    http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

download it, install it and to prevent the same confusion from happening again Let it put an icon on your desktop during the install.

3. screamingmurder

screamingmurder Thread Starter

Hey thatnks DarqueMist I had no idea there was another verions of messenger on my computer - I wonder if that was why I kept getting kicked out of Live Messenger??

I deleted Windows Messenger using control panel, but had to select "Delete Windows Component" on the left of thepanel. That worked, but now my Internet Explorer icon has disappeared fromteh desk top and the task bar. It never ends!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice