1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Live Messenger disabling Wireless connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TANN MANN, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TANN MANN

TANN MANN Thread Starter

Hey i have a bit of a doozy for u brainiacs out there.

I have a home wireless network set up using a netgear WGR614 v6 router with the latest firmware and a Netgear WG311 v2 wireless card in my system to pick up the signal.
    now i never used to have this problem, but its jsut poped up and i've been able to narrow it down to Windows Messenger Live 8.0... and any other messenger back to MSN 7.5
    heres how it goes down, everything works fine i can browse download upload and anything else with the connection until i fire up Messenger for a yarn. it seems to take the entire connection for itself leaving browsing impossible, i'm still recieving the signal but the browser won't use it, instead when i try load a page, say google for example, it tries for a while the comes up with a login box with the following "server google.com to WGR614 requires authentication...or something along those lines...errror 401, now i shouldn't need to log into the router to access the connection if its already there, if i close messenger i still have no access until system restart.
    any ideas?, cos its got me beat, as long as i don't start up messenger then the connection is fine.
    any help would be greatly appreciated, if u need any system details tell me how to get them and i'll post them up(y)

Cheers
    Andrew

2. TANN MANN

TANN MANN Thread Starter

Oh before anyone asks, I have updated all firmware on both wireless devices and tried others versions of messenger and disabled the firewall all with no effect on the problem.

3. TANN MANN

TANN MANN Thread Starter

BUMP!!

Just thought i'd move it up a little, Anyone??? Please!!
    I've attached a couple of screen shots of the IE7 WGR614 access box as well as the Windows messenger live connection status

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice