1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Live Messenger Doesn't Work?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by INJ, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. INJ

INJ Thread Starter

I bought a new laptop yesterday, and it came with Vista installed. I really like the OS, it's very sleek, but I've had one problem.

I downloaded Windows Live Messenger from the link that was in the start menu, and it installed perfectly fine. When I try to sign in, it doesn't let me. I attached an image of the message I'm getting when I try to sign in.

Although I was doubtful that it would work, I uninstalled, re-downloaded, and reinstalled WLM, but just as I had suspected, it didn't fix my problem.

Is this a common problem with Vista?

If anyone could help me out, I would be really appreciative.

Attached Files:

2. mack11

mack11

A friend of mine had the same problem and did a google search. He came upon a solution to this kind of problem. What you have to do after Vista closes the Live Messenger program is to right-click the shortcut of the Live Messenger and click properties. In one of the tabs that shows up, there should be an option that says "Run program as Administrator". After you leave this option checkmarked, the program should cease to be shutdown by Vista. The only thing though is that everytime you start the program, Vista will always ask you if you want to continue with starting the program. Hope this helps! :)

3. INJ

INJ Thread Starter

Works :D Thank-you very much.

4. Zacharye139

Zacharye139

well his mite work but mine dont i did wat u suggested and it still just comes up with the ssame message

5. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

What version are you using and is your flash player the latest up to date one

go here to check
    http://secunia.com/software_inspector/ run a scan and update any softwareit recomends .. any questions please ask

6. abie26

abie26

Right-click the shortcut icon of the Windows Live Messenger then click Properties... click on the tab 'Compatibility' and near the bottom, where it says 'Privilege Level', click to checkmark the box where it says 'Run this program as an administrator'. Click Apply/OK then double click the same shortcut for the Messenger, then Windows will ask you if you want to continue with this program, click Continue. Then Windows Live Messenger should be able to run. If not, then let us know with more specifics.

7. Zacharye139

Zacharye139

yeah ive tried that it still doesnt work still just comes up with the ssame message

8. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

9. abie26

abie26

Have you tried an uninstall/reinstall with Live Messenger? What is the level of your User account? Maybe another option is to Right-click that same Messenger shortcut, go to the Compatibility tab and under the Compatibility Mode section, checkmark Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service pack 2).

I haven't tried that for Messenger but by doing the steps above, I managed to have another program to install in Vista and got it to run.

10. Zacharye139

Zacharye139

no i dont hav an acer computer and yup i hav un-installed and installed it and run as adim and win xp serv pack 2 and it still dont work

11. abie26

abie26

Beats me... What is your computer?

12. Zacharye139

Zacharye139

tis a dell dimension 5150

13. abie26

abie26

14. Zacharye139

Zacharye139

will look into that thanks heaps for your help

15. Astrid23

Astrid23

I am also having the same problem brand new Dell Inspiron 1721 came with Vista and Windows Live on it installed and cannot connect on it..can use other programs such as Trillian but prefer Windows Live much better...I even went so far as to talk to MSN support and they also cannot figure out this problem..Have tried running as admin..installed and re-installed..disabled intergraded webcam..have cleaned up temp files..I have done everything possible that I have found on either forums or through MSN support and still will not work..MSN now wants me to give them my passcodes for my msn account so that they can "get there tech team to try and figure out and test what is wrong" but myself am not comfortable with that and also would not be able to do anything with my email for an undefined amount of time...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/555746