1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Live Messenger vs. the webcam

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ExtremeNihilism, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ExtremeNihilism

ExtremeNihilism Thread Starter

okay i used to have msn messenger 7.5 and everything was peachy. my webcam worked, life was great. then one day it says i have to upgrade to 8.0 or whatever. so i said "sure". now whenever i try to use my webcam windows messenger freezes up and i need to shut down the program. i've tried deleting the messenger and getting an older version....but it won't let me run an older version, whenever i try to sign in it says i need to upgrade. so i upgrade...and then gah..

so yeah. any ideas?

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    if i can make a small suggestion try yahoo messenger instead either 8.1 or 9.0 beta. its a lot more fun and easy to use and ive never had problems with it. windows messenger seems to be giving lots of people problems. i had it and hated it.

3. ExtremeNihilism

i have yahoo messenger. i also have AIM. i use the different programs to talk to different friends who have said programs. i don't care for yahoo messenger at all, i like msn a lot, if only it wouldn't bug out so much, and AIM is good for strict typing to other ppl.

and idk if i fixed it or something, i've kept trying to download from other sites but i got it to work with one friend the other day, so now i just need to test it against other friends xD

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What is the processor type and speed?

How much RAM is installed?

What type of display adapter/video card is installed and how much video memory does it have?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From my experience with older, slower computers, using MSN Messenger and a webcam together works fine for a few minutes and then freezes up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. ExtremeNihilism

intel centrino duo processor

1G RAM

not sure to find what my video card is.

also it used to work fine (my webcam on msn) then when i upgraded to the new version it started buggin on me. still havn't tried it with anybody else. will post with updates.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm using Windows Live Messenger 9.0.1407.1107 in my 2 current desktops. It works fine, but I'm not using a webcam with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Emans

Emans

Theres nothing wrong from my use of msn leave it frozen for a few minutes and see if it works after..mine tends to freeze first min or two then its all fine.

8. noddyholder

noddyholder

If like me, since upgrading to 8.xxx, every time i run the audio webcam setup, MSN has to close. So you try to go back to 7.5. You cant sign in unless you upgrade to 8.xx. VICIOUS ****ING CIRCLE. Heres what to do!!!!

UNINSTALL ALL MSN MESSENGERS ON YOUR SYSTEM.

DOWNLOAD MSN MESSENGER 7.5 AND INSTALL IT.

IF ASKED TO UPGRADE CANCEL.

SHUT DOWN MESSENGER.

GO TO C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger. (where messenger is installed)

FIND FILE msnmsgr AND RIGHT CLICK ON IT

CLICK ON PROPERTIES

CLICK ON COMPATIBILITY

TICK THE "RUN THIS PROGRAM FOR COMPATIBILITY WITH" BOX AND SELECT

UNDERNEATH "WINDOWS 2000"

START MSN MESSENGER

YOU SHOULD GET A "REPAIRING" WINDOW AND HEY PRESTO IT ALL WORKS.

REMEMBER NOT TO UPGRADE AGAIN

IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT **** IT UP

Hope this works for you all. Please let me know.

Cheers noddyholder ([email protected])

9. ExtremeNihilism

kk thnx so much noddy. i've got 7.5 back onto my comp now and working. i havn't tried the webcam yet but am sure it will work. thnx bunches.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/688036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice