1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Live Messenger won't sign in

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by andrew_88, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andrew_88

andrew_88 Thread Starter

I have just got a new computer with Windows Vista and I downloaded Windows Live messenger but when I go to sign in it just says "sigining in..." and nothing happens. eventually I get error code 81000306. I thought this could be to do with the firewall. I am using BitDefender Internet Security 2008 which has its own firewall and in the settings msnmsgr.exe is set to allow so I can't think what it could be.

thanks,

Andrew,

2. Gerchan

Gerchan

From the start menu select run and type these 3 registry fixes :
    regsvr32 Softpub.dll

regsvr32 Mssip32.dll

regsvr32 Initpki.dll

PS Please back-up registry before doing this.

Hope this helps
    Gerchan

3. Gerchan

Gerchan

Another quick remider. The image below will show you how the fixes should be typed in the Run dialog box window.

The image was brought to you courtesy to msn-errors.blogspot.com.

Hope this helps
    Gerchan

Attached Files:

• 12_0.jpg
      12_0.jpg
      File size:
      36.9 KB
      Views:
  4. andrew_88

andrew_88 Thread Starter

The first 2 worked but the Initpki.dll one didnt work and I still get the same error message?

5. Gerchan

Gerchan

Do you have a Netgear Router?

6. andrew_88

andrew_88 Thread Starter

7. Gerchan

Gerchan

Oh I think that thats the problem. Many people on Microsoft Technet forums had to upgrade thier router since they were having the same problem as you do. What is the current version of your router?

8. andrew_88

andrew_88 Thread Starter

Its a Netgear DG834. It worked on the previous computer, its only since I have started using the new computer with Bitdefender that it hasn't worked.

9. Gerchan

Gerchan

If I were you I would contact the outlet from where you bought your router and first of all tell him about your problem and that it is probably linked with the router and then demand an upgrade for it.

BTW If I have some free time I will try to post you the link of the Technet Forums where they were discussing the router upgrade since right now I cannot find it.

Regards
    Gerchan

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/619548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice