1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Live One Care Firewall

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Kinjid, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kinjid

Kinjid Thread Starter

Okay I don't like this thing yelling at me

YOUR FIRE WALL IS OFF MORON!!!!11!!!!11!!ONE

and so I start the firewall, or try to and I get the message(exact.)
    Code:
    OneCare can't change your firewall settings at this time.
     Please try again later or restart the computer.
     If the problem persists, contact OneCare support
    [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"][U]Get help[/U][/COLOR]

Okay I click the little Get help like and do EVERY IDEA IT SUGGESTS. I restarted my pc. Nope. I ran the Firewall Repair. Nope. I reinstall the program. Nope. I do everything they say and it doesn't work.

I use windows xp home edition. I use a dell dimension E310 pc...

So please help cause my computer has been wierd since my last Firewalls(Zonealarm then 1 Firewall(sucks)) stopped working as well ( because of account experation) and now i use what my mom says to use. Windows live one care. Your help = appreciated.

I also am set up for Team Viewer and Tech In Line Remote Desktop. But ya anyone willing to help, I would be most grateful.

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

3. Kinjid

Kinjid Thread Starter

Okay well I talked to my mother and she argued that WLOC is perfect and has no defects or so. I tried to show her the thing you gave me about its firewall and virus protection lacking and she wouldn't. She's stubborned and I am always ignored about pc issues even though i know 10x more that she does about anything on the internet. So I cant use WLOC* and I can't pay on my own (as I lack a credit card or bank account) So I was wondering if you could recommend 2 GOOD, RELIABLE Free, Non trial, Firewall and anti-vi anti-spy

*THis meaning I download alot of things that yall do not support here. ( Not asking for support here) but something I download aren't safe I know

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Run a search, this has been discussed and rediscussed a few hundred times.

5. Hughv

Hughv

I gave up on WOC after many such issues.
    AVG Anti-virus
    Windows Defender
    Windows Firewall
    If you engage in risky downloads, get Spybot.

6. redoak

K: You have a number of choices of good, free firewalls, anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. All better than what Microsoft offers in the opinion of many.

I can recommend ZoneAlarm free firewall. It is better than the one that comes with Ws. AVG free anti-virus. Free SpywareBlaster. Free SuperAntispyware. Free Spybot Search and Destroy. With these, and careful browsing, I am well protected.

Ask your mom to please read what we are posting here. Maybe we, rather than you, can convince her.

{redoak}

7. redoak

K: Addendum to my immediately previous post.

You should not run two firewalls nor anti-virus programs simultaneously. Actually, it is best to not even have two anti-virus programs installed. Therefore, you are going to have to remove the Ws suite before moving to anything else.

Good luck with mom.

{redoak}

8. Kinjid

Kinjid Thread Starter

Been busy yesterday couldn't read forums. I showed her what y'all posted to day and she said "Y'all are all stupid quacks who don't know anything about computers" of course this made me laugh and she just got pissed and went to watch tv. I was able to convince my brother to buy me Zone Alarm Security Suite (Half-Brother, whos half-uncle works for the company who manages zone alarm. So got like 1/2 off ) and so far its really good. Though it keeps quarantining this 1 file as a Virus(but I've used it before and its done nothing to my computer) so if anyone knows how to allow a specific file in zone alarm virus/spyware I would most appreciate it. The file isn't of dire need it just gets annoying because I can't play my game >.<( scanned the file online nothing just zone alaram, though wloc did detect it ))

9. redoak

Hi "K": I think this will allow you to bypass NZ for the program you desire: Open the ZA "control Center"; in left column of options click "Program Control"; then click the "Programs" tab; then click "Add" in the lower right corner.

You may want to use a Google search to check on that program/game before you allow it access to the Internet. What is its title?

{redoak}

10. Kinjid

Kinjid Thread Starter

its not a program, and I trust the file since well I made it myself. But I don't know how to allow the file because as soon as I return it it quartines it.

11. redoak

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice