1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows Live out Yahoo in how?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by oldtee, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldtee

oldtee Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8080 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 456 GB (225 GB Free); D: 9 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1497
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

I am not computer smart so I don't understand how some of this stuff works. Please bear with me. I don't know what to change. Here is the problem. My HOA web page lets me send emails to the staff. Their name is in blue and underlined. When I poke on the name I get a Windows Live form to send the message. Looks very much like a word document page (template). I would like the page to be a yahoo mail page since that is what I do most of my email on. How do I change from Windows live to yahoo. Note I use Windows 7.

Thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    When you click on an email link on a web page, the web browser passes on the information to Windows and Windows uses the computer's default mail program to compose and send the message. In your case it sounds like Windows Live is your default email program.

It sounds like you are accessing your Yahoo mail account through Yahoo's web based portal with your web browser. Yahoo is not an email program that runs on a computer like Windows Live. As far as I know, no web browser supports clicking on an email link to go to the web based Yahoo mail page. Maybe someone else here knows of a web browser add-on to do such a task.

One work-around would be to start using Windows Live as your email program and have it send and receive emails using your Yahoo account.

3. oldtee

oldtee Thread Starter

Thanks. It looks like the "Live" mail is part of 2012 Essentials. What do I loose if I remove all of 2012 essentials? Would I gain anything? Is it wise to do. My thinking is I should remove any software I can live without to reduce virus paths into my computer?

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

I don't think windows LIVE Mail is even supported anymore. Windows LIVE Mail is an on the computer email system like Outlook, thunderbird, or my wife's preference SeaMonkey, Browser and email. My 84 year old friend wanted it because that was what he used on VISTA and I ended up setting it up for him on his windows 7 Dell optiplex780 after his VISTA machine died. I had to research on how to even get it to work on Windows 7. He was using Time warner for his internet service but recently changed to AT&T DSL (Yahoo based) so I had to go in there and change the servers and settings to get it to work.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I have never worked with 2012 essentials. Googling Microsoft 2012 essentials only seems to show results to a server operating system called Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

You might be better off starting a new thread to discuss removing all or parts of the software bundle you are using.

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

From Wikipedia :On 7 August 2012, Microsoft released a new version of Windows Essentials 2012, which included Windows Live Mail 2012. From Wikipedia :
    Windows Essentials 2012 includes the following applications:
    Photo Gallery
    Movie Maker
    Mail
    Writer
    OneDrive (later integrated into Windows 8.1 or Windows 10)[5]
    Family Safety (Windows 7 only)
    Microsoft announced that the suite would be officially retired on January 10, 2017 and would no longer be available for download, and that after the end of support date applications already installed would continue to work but with "an increased security risk associated with use of unsupported products past their end of support date."

7. oldtee

oldtee Thread Starter

Thanks. I uninstalled 2012 essentials we will see if it does anything bad. So far. Gonna mark this thread solved.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice