1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows live password reset email(and stupidity on my part)

Discussion in 'General Security' started by ohNotAgain80, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohNotAgain80

ohNotAgain80 Thread Starter

hello, I hope this is the correct forum, apologies if not.

last week my friend had one of the msn worms which sent a link to people on her contact list, claiming to be a photo album. in trying to copy and paste the link for inspection, i clicked it. i did not enter my uname/password into the page that came up and went to change my password. However, i realised i had forgotten it and the answer to my secret question. I know! How stupid. I always use a false answer to the question, and my msn logs in automatically. I could therefore log in to msn so tried to get instructions sent to my inbox. Which i did, but everytime I clicked the link, it said it had expired (a problem shared by many i have since discovered).

Anyway, as a last resort, i downloaded an msn password recovery program. I used it offline incase it tried to send anything back and after scanning with antivirus etc. Anyway, to cut a long prologue short, i got my password and was able to change it.

I then ran a number of anti virus /spyware scans, using kaspersky's free online scanner, avg free, spybot,adaware. Apart from a false positive from kaspersky involving a preinstalled isp trial, all was clear and i thought nothing of it.

However, ever since, every 2 days i seem to recieve an email which either is or looks exactly like the emails from the microsoft customer support that you get sent when you have requested further instructions on how to change your password. since changing it, I have made no further attempts to do so.

Now I'm unsure what to do. I've scanned and only false positives have been found. The password that I changed it to still works so if somebody is trying to hack my account, they're not having much luck (touch wood). I don't know if it is my friend's worm or me having used the password recovery programs. I uninstalled each and they were used offline and my firewall didn't blink at all.

could anyone offer any advice?

thanks

jj

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Change the password again and see if that resets the automatic MS email.

3. ohNotAgain80

ohNotAgain80 Thread Starter

ok thanks, sorry for the delay in replying. i've had no connection for the last week as I was away. during this week, i've had 2 more emails, 2 days apart, but none since the 15th. I will try changing the password again though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice