Windows Live vs Outlook 2013 for Windows 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

armly

Windows Live:
Loading Windows Live on a Windows 7 system, in order to create an email account -- I don't know if they want to input a "windows live id" or if I can enter my provider username/password.

Must you have a windows live id, or is this only for retaining changes that are made?

Thirdly, can I enter usernames/passwords with a web host for an individual account (websites that I operate) like can be done with Outlook Express?

Outlook (2013 Office for Home & Business)
How many accounts will this take? Operating an old version, it seems to top out at around 5 accounts, hopefully they've improved given the price tag.

armly

you may want to look at thunderbird free email client
i use more than 5 accounts with it
http://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

why do you want a windows live ID ?
-does thunderbird reside on local machine?
-do you have to use Firefox to use it?
-can I connect with emails via local provider and web host?
-import .dbx files?

I don't want a windows live id if I can help it.

etaf

Wayne
if its outlook express , when you first install thunderbird it will ask if you want to import emails and contacts
and then will put them into a folder called something like
outlook express imported

I see 'Trash' and 'Outlook' are located under 'local folders' in the view menu.
You sure this all resides on local machine, including emails files? Can you do a backup of them?
yes they are on the client PCs only
and you can backup the system , i use
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
to transfer to different PCs or just as a backup

it can be difficult to convert from thunderbird to other email clients in the future , depends on the client

armly

if its outlook express , when you first install thunderbird it will ask if you want to import emails and contacts and then will put them into a folder called something like outlook express imported
I see 'Trash' and 'Outlook' are located under 'local folders' in the view menu.
You sure this all resides on local machine, including emails files? Can you do a backup of them?

Do the mails stay as .dbx for possible future use in another email program?

etaf

Wayne
crossed post a few times and edit - re-read some of my older posts please

yes they are on the client PCs only
and you can backup the system , i use
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
to transfer to different PCs or just as a backup

it can be difficult to convert from thunderbird to other email clients in the future , depends on the client

etaf

Wayne
its done automatically when you first install, I have done this on quite a few machines when they have changed to a windows 7 PC from an XP machine
installed thunderbird on XP PC - and imported, then used mozbackup and copied to new PC and installed thunderbird - NOT set up the account - used mozbackup to restore and it installed the email, contacts and sets up the account access

you get the folder
outlook express imported
and a new address book with all your contacts

I have never moved from thunderbird to another email client

you can also move to windows live mail - and do not need to have a windows live ID or outlook.com email
if you prefer to use windows live

Personally I think thunderbird is better and also use on a lot of PCs with the older generation, and they find the change easy to make

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online