1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows loads, then desktop vanishes, help!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kade6767, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kade6767

kade6767 Thread Starter

OK, this is what is happening: I boot up normally, and everything looks fine. Then, for example, I try going to control panel, it runs slow to get there, I click on add/remove programs, (this is just example, it happens no matter what I do) and boom, the control panel, and entire desktop (icons, taskbar) all dissapear. I can't right click, can't do anything. The only thing that stays on the screen is the wallpaper. I did an online scan by Trend Micro and it found and deleted a few infections. Says there was one left that could not be automatically deleted. I can't add new software or remove anything. I can't get any program to run, so I can't use my own anti-virus program. Booting into safe mode is not a problem, but I am obviously limited there. Anyone have ideas because I am on the verge of doing a reformat which I really hate to have to do. Tell me whatever else you need to know and I will explain it the best I can, thanks guys. I am no computer genius, just your basic everyday online user, photos, editing, very basic stuff.

2. unbidden

unbidden

From your post, it appears you are still infected.
    Have you run a virus scan in Safe Mode?
    Have you run any spyware scans?

Free SuperAntiSpyware
    Free SpyBot S + D

Free Avira Anti-virus
    Free Avast Anti-virus

If still no joy:

Go to http://forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/110854-security-help-tools.html
    Read and learn how to post a HiJackThis Log File - then post the log to
    http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/?daysprune=365
    along with a brief description of your problem and some spec's on your system. Be patient, as there are only a hand full of techs qualified to read and diagnose the log.

3. kade6767

kade6767 Thread Starter

As you can see from what I wrote, I did my scan and there is one item left that could not be automatically deleted, and as you can see, I can't install or remove programs.

4. unbidden

unbidden

If you boot to Safe Mode with Networking, are you able to install?

5. kade6767

kade6767 Thread Starter

Ok, I have located the source of the virus. But when I try to delete it, it says that it can't be deleted because it is open in another program.

6. unbidden

unbidden

Did you find this is Safe Mode?

Post the source.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice