Windows loads, then desktop vanishes, help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kade6767

OK, this is what is happening: I boot up normally, and everything looks fine. Then, for example, I try going to control panel, it runs slow to get there, I click on add/remove programs, (this is just example, it happens no matter what I do) and boom, the control panel, and entire desktop (icons, taskbar) all dissapear. I can't right click, can't do anything. The only thing that stays on the screen is the wallpaper. I did an online scan by Trend Micro and it found and deleted a few infections. Says there was one left that could not be automatically deleted. I can't add new software or remove anything. I can't get any program to run, so I can't use my own anti-virus program. Booting into safe mode is not a problem, but I am obviously limited there. Anyone have ideas because I am on the verge of doing a reformat which I really hate to have to do. Tell me whatever else you need to know and I will explain it the best I can, thanks guys. I am no computer genius, just your basic everyday online user, photos, editing, very basic stuff.

From your post, it appears you are still infected.
Have you run a virus scan in Safe Mode?
Have you run any spyware scans?

Free SuperAntiSpyware
Free SpyBot S + D

Free Avira Anti-virus
Free Avast Anti-virus

If still no joy:

Go to http://forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/110854-security-help-tools.html
Read and learn how to post a HiJackThis Log File - then post the log to
http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/?daysprune=365
along with a brief description of your problem and some spec's on your system. Be patient, as there are only a hand full of techs qualified to read and diagnose the log.

kade6767

As you can see from what I wrote, I did my scan and there is one item left that could not be automatically deleted, and as you can see, I can't install or remove programs.

As you can see from what I wrote, I did my scan and there is one item left that could not be automatically deleted, and as you can see, I can't install or remove programs.
If you boot to Safe Mode with Networking, are you able to install?

kade6767

Ok, I have located the source of the virus. But when I try to delete it, it says that it can't be deleted because it is open in another program.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online