1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows locks up at startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BARBBARELA, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BARBBARELA

BARBBARELA Thread Starter

Help!!!! I started cleaning up our office computer to make it run a little faster and have more space and now it locks up every time windows 98 begins to open. I can open it up in safe mode but can't get on the internet or run my external read-write drive. I think I have backed up the computer on D: Any suggestions? (n) :confused:

2. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

Welcome to TSG.

Without knowing whats on your system, or what you have deleted that may be causing this problem .... you could perhaps try Start > Shutdown > Restart in Dos - then once in Dos Mode type this :

Scanreg /Restore (note the space after Scanreg.)

You should be presented with last 5 successful Win Registries to boot up. Pick one prior to the time you made these changes (but not the very first one in the list ) and try booting into Windows.

Although I now use Win XP - Scanreg saved me few times when I was using 98SE.

If no luck please post back here.

3. BARBBARELA

BARBBARELA Thread Starter

THANKS!!! I replaced the registry and was able to boot up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice