1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows log in screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HarvAronson, Oct 19, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. HarvAronson

HarvAronson Thread Starter

I’m hoping you can assist. I was given a pc with Windows 7 from work but there is still a work network login at the Windows startup screen and it is listing a specific user as the default login but I don’t have that password.

There is an option for another user but that too requires a password. Is there any way to eliminate that login screen and just access the local hard drive and Windows 7 operating system?

Do I need to reinstall Windows 7?

Any suggestions you can provide would be much appreciated!

Harvey Aronson

2. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    This board has a policy of not assisting with breaking into computers.
    In your circumstance, I would obtain Windows 10 installation media, and (custom) install it on the system, wiping out all the existing partitions in the process.
    Hopefully, you have a windows 7 activation key on a sticker on the side or the back of the computer.

Assuming that the computer still belongs to the office domain, Your other option is to take the computer back to the office, log it into the office domain, set up a "local administrative user account" , remove it from the domain.

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

As to the validity of how you acquired the PC, we can only take your word. That said, most forums do not allow advice to be given on circumventing password access.

If this is a work PC, truly given away....then the company should have wiped the PC cleaned and had a working OS on it before giving it away. There are always exceptions to that rule. Such as a mom/pops business that doesn't know any better.

To answer you question of reinstall; Yes.

When ever I'm given a PC; whether from an individual or business......the first thing I do is perform a clean install using the systems built recovery software. This applies to OEM retail PC's.

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Ahh...you beat me to it Sean.

5. HarvAronson

Thanks guys...it truly was a pc the company was just going to dump. With that said, can you explain the steps to setting up a local administrative user account? That sounds like the easiest path.
    Thanks again!

6. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Well, you have to log in first, with an account with administrative credentials. If you already know these credentials then you are done. Otherwise, you would need Domain Administrative credentials (DAC). If you don't have them, then you have to talk to someone in IT. If the machine had previously logged in with the DAC, then they would be cached and you can do it from home. Otherwise you would have to connect to the office domain to do it.

Then go to the control panel, users and groups, add a user. Make sure the user is an administrator and not a standard user.
    Log out of your Domain Admin session and log in with your newly created Local Admin.

Go into control panel/system and in the "Computer name, domain and workgroup settings" go to "change settings".
    In there you can unjoin the domain. You will need the DAC to do it though.
    Reboot.

7. HarvAronson

Thanks again!

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Honestly, just reinstall windows from fresh because any software on there belongs to the company, not you.

What is the make, model, and SN of the computer?

9. HarvAronson

I prefer install. PC is a dell optiplex 7010 SN 4872543966. My company uses an outside tech company which I can not use in this instance so what do you suggest for installation software?

10. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    @bassfisher6522 The recovery may not be available if the company images their own computers, plus in that video it asks for an administrator and password... which the OP does not have.

If that is the express code, it may be missing a number or typed incorrectly. Go into the BIOS (Press F2 repeatedly until you see Entering Setup on the top right) and on the first option in the list will have your Service Tag. This will help us identify the hardware and drivers that you will may need. Also note the BIOS Version (should be A01 or something with an A). The last BIOS update was A29 so if you have an A number below that, you would want to update too along with the drivers. The BIOS can be updated before installing Windows, though.

Dell has a OS Recovery Tool that you can download and create a USB Recovery for the computer. It will make the computer go back to the factory installed OS. But first let's make sure you get the drivers for the computer, just in case.

Note: Windows 10 can be installed on this model, but may be a little slow, depending on the age/responsivness of the hardware. (we still have 7010s here but they are really slow)

12. HarvAronson

Thanks everyone for all the great advice! My tech team took the pc off of our company domain and I now have just a local pc. But all your suggestions and workarounds are greatly appreciated!

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You still have the issue of all the software that the company purchased that is on there, which will be an issue later on so my last advice if you haven't done it is to reinstall Windows.

14. HarvAronson

Actually its a pretty bare and bland PC. There are no installed programs except the windows defaults ... accessories, etc.

15. doggievan

doggievan

is there any way to remove the login screen as the password is lost?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice