Windows login screen crash after ram add

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blkvpr

I recently upgraded my motherboard and processor, and with it I purchased two 512mb sticks of pc3200 ddr ram. Yesterday, I went out and purchased another two sticks of 512mb pc3200 ddr ram. My pc registered the new ram, and loaded and worked properly. I played a game for a while, then shut it off and went to bed. I turned it on this morning and it now locks at 'different' points at the windows xp login screen. By different I mean it might crash as soon as it loads, after I klick my account to enter the password, after I enter the password, or as it says "loading your personal settings". By crash I mean the pc locks and will not proceed, the mouse pointer will still move however. This happens even after removing the two new sticks of memory. Windows will however load without trouble with all four sticks if I load it in safe mode. What exactly happened here?

Rukee

Banned
Welcome to the forums.
you could try to reset the CMOS will all 4 sticks in and hopefully when it boots it will set safe timing values for the memory to allow it to run with all 4. If not, you may be stuck with two new sticks you can`t use. In any system you want to run as few memory sticks as possible, if you just bought all 4 of these, maybe you can return them for a 2gig dual channel 'kit' and they would be better for compatibility with each other anyway, rather then 4 separate 512mb sticks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online