windows mail and outlook - exporting mails from one to the other

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

redsapph

I have now got Vista and Windows mail. I had Outlook 2003. How can I move my mails from Outlook to mail? I have tried just about everything I can think of! Please help me before I lose it completely!!
Thanks in advance!

Alison

TerryNet

Terry
I don't use either one of those, but I would think that Windows Mail would have a "import from Outlook" option. It does not?

If you open Windows Mail and choose "File, Import, Messages and then Outlook" it will lead you to it.

redsapph

now that would seem the case wouldn't it, you'd think that it would be that easy, but all I get is "messages cannot be imported from the MAPI client".

I am afraid I don't understand the error message (being blonde an all that) help? please??

Is the email account you have in Outlook an IMAP account or are there more than one accounts you access Outlook with?

redsapph

um, like I said blonde! Whats an IMAP account? I only access mail with this program, nothing else I am trying to move my old mails to my new computer if that helps, one is Windows XP running Outlook 2003 the new one is Vista running windows mail.

Who is your 1 account with for email? What is the name of the isp (internet service poivider).

redsapph

I'm hard work, I know! My isp is Y3net, a company in the Netherlands but my email comes from a server in the UK called TME Solutions.co.uk under my own domain name, sharptext.nl.
Thanks for your patience! :)

DoubleHelix

Banned
Did you backup your PST file, and are you pointing to that when you're trying to import messages? Are you selecting the options to import messages from the PST file, or are you selecting an option to import account settings?

now that would seem the case wouldn't it, you'd think that it would be that easy, but all I get is "messages cannot be imported from the MAPI client".

I am afraid I don't understand the error message (being blonde an all that) help? please??
My rule of thumb with messages in Microsoft-ese (a language grammatically similar to English but incapable of conveying useful information) is to google the phrase. Something in all that confusion might work: for instance, this talks about something called "Windows Easy Transfer" (which makes me wonder why it's hard to find?)

redsapph

I have made a PST file and I put that lovingly on my desktop, and explained gently and carefully to Windows mail where to find it, but Computer said No!

I have made a PST file and I put that lovingly on my desktop, and explained gently and carefully to Windows mail where to find it, but Computer said No!
You probably need Outlook installed for this method. This would be the case if Vista Windows Mail has no native understanding of the PST file's format, but can "drive" an instance of Outlook to read the file on its behalf.

Microsoft's official method for files between computers seems to be "Windows Easy Transfer", allegedly also available in the "Welcome Center" applet of Control Panel.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Export the messages from Outlook to Outlook Express. Then take the files from Outlook Express and import them into Windows Mail. I highly doubt the "Windows Easy Transfer" cable is going to do anything to help unless arayq2 has personal experience with it. Ultimately, the files still need to be in a format that can be moved from one program to another.

I highly doubt the "Windows Easy Transfer" cable is going to do anything to help unless arayq2 has personal experience with it.
I have zero experience with anything deeply Microsoftish, for reasons that could easily start a flame war. :)

However, I think it's worth pointing out that while they're obviously spieling this cable thingy like crazy, they do mention other options on the same webpage: (SOHO) network, external drive, and CD/DVD.

Ultimately, the files still need to be in a format that can be moved from one program to another.
In the sense that either Windows Mail can handle the format natively, or have available a COM-object that can. Installing Outlook on the Vista box would probably make that PST file accessible.

redsapph

I think I may have to give up, I don't have the cable thingy, I have fairly 'I use this at home and at work for secretarial stuff and not much more' knowledge, and am beginning to think that Microsoft are doing this to make me spend even more money!
Whatever happened to if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online