1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Mail & Anti Virus Protection

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Deke40, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

I purchased an new pc last week and started using Windows Mail. I was told to disable the emial scanner or it would casue a problem with WM. Later I found AVG Free scanning and it had been doing so for 6 hours. Decided to give Avira a try. The next day my WM got totally screwed up. Avira free doesn't have an email scanner so I believe it was AVG that caused the problem.

My question is what AV could I use with some assurance that this want happen again?

I have heard Windows Live Mail is much more stable but I don't like some of the setups on it.

Is anybody here running Vista Home Premium with either Avast or Avira on it and using Windows Mail with no problems?

2. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Information quoted from Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP - hope this helps.

3. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

Thank for the reply.

I had uninstalled Norton 360 trial (even though I don't think it was active on my new pc) the day I got it.

I had read something similiar about email scanning being reduntant.

I had used AVG for years with no problems.

After much study between Avira and Avast I went with Avira as it had no email scanner on the free version so hopefully Norton didn't start a problem with my Windows Mail like I had previously.

Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice