1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Mail is giving me problems

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by caminator, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caminator

caminator Thread Starter

Hello all,

I used to use incredimail until I got a new computer with Vista on it. I installed incredimail, and used it (kind of) until I found out it wasn't compatible with Vista, and then uninstalled. I switched over to Windows Mail and have a question.

First off, I HATE IT. I know im a nerd, but I love all the little icons and themes that incredimail has...and windows mail appears to have none of. Well...to the question...

I set up my account, and email works just fine, but there is a problem with attachments. I can receive (for instance) a pdf and save it to my computer. If I open it from its saved location, it opens up perfectly. If I click on the attachment in my email and try to open it that way, I get an error that states something like "there is no file extension set for that file. Please go into control panel and set one."

I know there is a file extension set, because I went into control panel and checked, but it has the acrobat reader icon for the file, and I can open it pefectly if it is saved to my desktop.

Does anyone have an idea why I can open the pdf files perfectly as long as it is saved to the computer, but if I try to open it from Windows Mail, it gives me that file extension error?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. masterjim

masterjim

It has something to do with Vista's tight security. With XP, I can open PDF files either way.

3. caminator

caminator Thread Starter

Is there something that can be done about it? I find it a little hard to believe it has something to do with Vista and the security. I would think they would have it ask if you really want to open it or not if it was....but you never know with MS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/613248

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice