1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Mail Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by FrankSinatra, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FrankSinatra

FrankSinatra Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a bad message in my outbox that is undeleatable (sent by me)and because of it win mail will no longer send stuff. Whenever I try to deleate it, it says" unknown error"

How do I deleate EVERYTHING in windows mail in windows expolorer? Is there a registry edit? Is there any way I can re-install win mail? I do like the program........

2. TechB

TechB

Try deleting the message from Windows Explorer. You'll need to use Run as administrator and make sure you can view hidden and system files. The path to the outbox is:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folders\Outbox

Their will be a lot of 0 kb files in the folder. This is normal. Look for one that is not 0 kb and delete it.

3. FrankSinatra

its not there, all that is there is Winmail.fol

4. FrankSinatra

idea: could you go to your outbox, find winmail.fol, zip it and send it to me (attached it to this thread) I have a feeling that there is a error in that system file. thanks

sj

5. FrankSinatra

attached is what everything looks like

Attached Files:

6. TechB

TechB

I'm guessing but did you try moving winmail.fol out the outbox Again, I'm guessing but I would expect this to be the index for that folder. Removing it and then starting Windows Mail may recreate the folder index. Make sure you don't delete it without keeping a copy somewhere just in case removing it causes an even worse problem.

Have you tried compacting the folders?

Tools | Options | Advanced | Maintenance

Change: Compact the database on every shutdown to 1 then exit the program and it will comapct the folders. Change it back to 100 when you re-start Windows Mail.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice