1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Mail too sluggish for words

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Alessia-C, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alessia-C

Alessia-C Thread Starter

I think this is again down to Vista because I seem to have plenty of problems with it. Anyway, I'm posting this partly to see if anyone else is having the same experience and partly to see if there is a cure.

First off, the time taken to open Windows Mail is approximately 60 seconds. I find that ridiculous compared to Outlook Express which used to take around 5 seconds on my previous laptop.

If I click on Create Mail, it takes about 3 minutes for the mail window to open during which time the whole program freezes.

If I open Contacts, it takes about 45 seconds to open the list.

If I reply to a message but wish to manually change the destination mail address, I click on the address and the program freezes for between 30 to 45 seconds.

I'm using 32 bit Vista Ultimate with 3 Gb of memory which should be easily enough to cope with this very basic program.

Are there any solutions to this please?

2. MomAries

MomAries Banned

Clean out all your folders including Trash. May be they are overflown?

Clean your disk: All programs → Accessories → System Tools → Disk Cleanup. Sometimes it helps to speed up.

If all this doesn't work search for Windows Forum on the Net and ask your question in that forum.

Best of luck!

3. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

You have more than enough to run Vista and get better performance.
    What is your Windows Experience Index?
    (Control Panel->Performance Information and Tools)

Click Adjust Power Settings. You will see 3 choices, see if choosing
    High Performance improves anything.

Are you by any chance running more than one firewall or more than
    one anti-virus? Uninstall if there are any extras.

There is also the Reliability and Performance Monitor which shows you
    resources being used. Read the help for more details. You might be
    able to pin it down to some program causing the sluggish performance.

4. Alessia-C

Alessia-C Thread Starter

@ MomAries

The Trash is auto-deleted when I close the application. I did import my messages and contacts from my previous machine's Outlook Express. No idea if that may be the cause but I really need all the mail I have kept. I don't think I'm anywhere near overflow because the program hasn't once suggested compressing the folders to save space or anything like that.

I ran the cleanup tool but there wasn't much to clean. However, there are almost 1 GB of Windows Event logs. They were not checked for deletion by default so I left them alone. I'm not sure if it is safe to get rid of them?

No change to Windows Mail performance though...

@ VistaRookie

WEI reports a base score of 4.4. The lowest subscore of 4.4 being attributed to Aero graphics. Other than that, here's the scores:
    Processor: 5,4
    Memory: 5,1
    Gaming Graphics: 5,1
    Primary HDD: 5,4

The machine was already set to High Performance.

Other than the standard Windows firewall, I have Webroot's firewall installed. I thought that the Windows one would probably not give enough protection. Am I wrong and is there something I need to do with either of them? I must say, the Webroot version is not very good in that no matter how many times I set an Allow Access rule for Skype and Flashget, it asks me again the next time the computer is started.

I have only one antivirus and that's Webroot also (combined in SpySweeper). That at least seems to do a good job.

The Reliability and Performance Monitor seems to show an overall good health however, there have been 2 impestuous shut downs and 2 application failures. The latter are both working now and only featured as errors once in the past week.

Regretfully, I don't seem to be getting any closer to resolving the Windows Mail issues.

5. Alessia-C

Alessia-C Thread Starter

BTW, when checking Device Manager, I found a yellow exclamation mark against a network adapter that gave the following details:

Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface will not start.

Googling for more info led me to understand that many people have this issue and that it is unnecessary so I followed a tech advisor's recommendation to disable it.

6. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Make sure you disable one firewall or the other, it is usually
    bad news to run 2 at the same time.

7. Alessia-C

Alessia-C Thread Starter

I checked Security Center and that says the firewall is on but when I went to turn it off it said that Windows Firewall is turned off which must mean that Webroot did it when I installed their firewall and the firewall displayed as on is theirs.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice