Windows malicious software removal tool

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

djwoody

Hi.
I have just upgraded to Windows 7.
When I go into Windows Update there is a download available for the windows malicious software removal tool.
Should I download this? I know in the past with Vista I have not.
If not, how do I stop Windows searching for this update in future? :confused:

Thanks
Chris

When this first came out for XP, it was classified as spyware, because it reports data back to Microsoft every time it runs or the PC starts.

I see no harm in using it, does more good than harm. Just another layer of protection.

I don't know of any way to stop it from showing up in windows updates, the reason it shows up repeatedly is because of new scan definitions are added to look for new threats.

djwoody

When this first came out for XP, it was classified as spyware, because it reports data back to Microsoft every time it runs or the PC starts.

I see no harm in using it, does more good than harm. Just another layer of protection.

I don't know of any way to stop it from showing up in windows updates, the reason it shows up repeatedly is because of new scan definitions are added to look for new threats.
Thanks for your reply.
So is this different to the Windows Genuine Advantage add-on? I know this can be a pain!

Posted via Mobile Device

I recently found the Malicious Software Removal tool very useful at work. I had a PC that couldn't access the internet, ran various programs but couldn't sort it. The malicious software tool downloaded automatically and when I ran it I got my internet back.

Mr. Newton

Terry
I created a Quick Launch toolbar folder and I put a shortcut in it for the Malicious Software Removal Tool although I labeled it MRT.
I run it a couple of times a month,depending on my mood.
As stated earlier,it is another line of defense but should not be your only defense.
Better to have it and use it than not to have it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online