1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows me administrator problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by KMW, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KMW

KMW Thread Starter

Hi everyone.
    I'm wondering just who is my system administrator. Surely it is meant to be me. I run Millennium and this PC is owned and used only by myself. No one else uses it, however I'm getting two messages that stop me configuring and using certain components. Irritating to say the least.
    !st is "this program cannot run due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator" exe files and zips.
    2nd is "Access to this feature has been disabled by a restriction set by your system administrator"....settings>control panel>users.

This is similar to martinbecks problem back in 2001 these forums, but I can't find the files he was directed to on my computer unfortunately. I'm putting that down to his OS is 98, mine's Me.

thanks for any suggestions

2. Krelian

Krelian

Click the Start Buttom
    Select Run
    Type in regedit

Click the (+)'s to navigate to...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion->Policies->Explorer

Click on the folder which reads Explorer
    In the right hand panel you will see an entry which reads "NoControlPanel"
    Delete It

Reboot

Please repost letting us know if this fixes it or not so that the administrators may mark this post as needed.

3. KMW

KMW Thread Starter

Thanks Krelian, I actually fixed the problem last night, did a system restore to an earlier date, and then went into registry as you hint and not deleted, but changed the (1) to a (0), that got it. My computer running sweet, no phantom admin in sight, only me when I look in the mirror.

Told of how to fix problem in another forum.
    Tried to come back in here to tell of this but site was down for some reason

4. Krelian

Krelian

Hehehehe.. Thanks for reporting to us how it went!

I remember back in days of highschool computer classes, I use to do that to all the computers so we wouldn't have to do any work. The teacher was totally clueless. Ahhh the good old days...

5. mitchellkat

mitchellkat

Hi,

This same problem just started happening to me, too. I went to the supposed key in regedit but I don't have that key at all. There is only "default" and "NoDriveTypeAutoRun".

I'm using XP home.

Thanks

-Kat

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice