1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows ME and Memory

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BigC, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigC

BigC Thread Starter

Okay, lets get started

Can any one please tell me how much Ram Windows ME, can see and use.

I know that windows 98 can only see about 512 MB is that right ?

I want to upgrade the memory of My PC so that i will never need to do it again I am at 256 MB right now.

can anyone help.......

2. Rikku

Rikku

I've heard lots of different things about this. ME can definitely see a large amount of RAM 512+ but it can't use that much.

I've heard some say 128 is the usable max and others say 196. I think its safe to say that putting anything over 256 megs of RAM in an ME machine is just a waste of money.

However, an article at CNET caught my eye the other day about Windows in general. It said something about how the GDI resource pool ultimately limits how much can run at once in a Win ME 9x machine.

---ripped from cnet----

"Windows and its applications use three resources--System, User, and the graphics display interface, or GDI--to keep track of data they need in order to run. (These resources are separate from the RAM and disk space your PC uses to hold applications and data.) In Windows 3.x and 95, each resource was limited to 64K of RAM and filled up quickly. Microsoft changed resource management in Windows 98, 98 SE, and Me so that the User and System resources could use as much available system RAM as needed. Unfortunately, the GDI resource pool stayed at 64K for undisclosed technical reasons. When this pool is used up, you'll begin to see garbled graphics and blacked-out icons."

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Basically, above 512mb there are vcache issues which degrade performance and actually cause "out of memory" problems unless corrective measures are taken.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q253912

As for "system resources", this is a specially allocated memory area for managing specific types of operations. It is not to be confused with the amount of installed ram.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice