Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows ME Backup

737 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  deubanks 
#1 ·
Hello again,

I bought a new computer a couple of months ago with WinME. It does not have a backup option like Win98. My question is: What is the best way to backup and restore files on WinME?

Thanks,
deubanks

#2 ·
Hi deubanks. Are you referring to the Microsoft Backup tool that came with Win98? Here is a MS article to read about MS Backup and WinMe. If you can't find that file anywhere, let me know because I have a copy of MS Backup that I could send to you via email. MS article:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q264/5/41.ASP?

If this isn't what you're looking for, let us know.
:eek:) sharon

#3 ·
Hi deubanks,
Win ME comes with System Restore. It can restore everything when executed to do so. Go to start, programs, accessories, system tools , click on System Restore,Click on create restore point. click on next and follow instructions

#4 ·
Thanks Sharon D and TW56 for your replies.

Sharon, I read the MS article that you referred me to. It says that WinME does not have a backup tool. TW56, I am asking how to backup files so they can be restored later after a computer failure that might cause the files to be lost.

I know that they can be saved to a cd-r or cd-rw or other disk. I guess that is probably the best way to save most things. Don't know how much trouble it would be to restore some of them.

Thanks again for your help.
deubanks
:)

#5 ·
Hi deubanks. Actually, I believe the article said that Microsoft Backup is not installed sometimes after installing WinMe, but may be on the WinMe installation CD. You'd need to browse the CD for that file in order to install it. I have WinMe also and only had the Restore disk that came with my pc, so I could not install it, but someone at TSG was nice enough to email it to me.

Do you have a CD-R\CD-RW Writer? I have one with EasyCD Creator\Direct CD installed as Backup software and it works very well. I find that this is the best way to back up all my data and is extremely easy to copy back onto the computer after reinstallion of os whether it be from computer failure or you just want to reformat to start out "cleanly". If you need help with anything else, just let us know and we'll be happy to help.
:) sharon

#6 ·
Hi Sharon,

I bought the computer with Win ME already installed on it. The MS article says that backup does not come on a system with ME installed at the factory, so it is not on my disk. If you can e-mail it to me, I would appreciate it very much. I do have a CD Writer.

Thanks Again,
deubanks:)

#7 ·
Hi deubanks. My pc came preinstalled with WinMe as well. I hope they at least gave you the Quick Restore CD to go with your pc just in case you need to reinstall your os in the future.
If you do have a CD-Writer it should have come with Backup software included. Do you know what software came with it? This software would probably be much better than MS Backup. If it didn't come with any Backup software I'll send MS Backup to you, it's about 1.32MB zipped up. All I need is an address to send it too. Just click on my "Profile" below my post and from in there you can choose to email me and then I'll reply to you and send the file.
Let me know. :) sharon

#8 ·
Hi Sharon,
My PC did come with the restore disk. It also came with
Adaptec Easy CD Creator. The help section tells how to backup data to a CD-R/CD-RW, but I could not find anything about how to restore it back to the PC. How do you do that? Or do you just have to drag and drop to get them back on the PC?
Thanks for your help,
deubanks

#9 ·
Hi deubanks, To restore files back to your PC that you have backed up you can drag n' drop or copy\paste each file or several at a time. When I want to copy the entire contents of the backed up CD onto the harddrive, I open up Windows Explorer (Start>Programs>Accessories>Windows Explorer or hit the Windows key + the letter 'E'), doubleclick on the drive icon that I have my CD-R\CD-RW in, Edit>Select All>Copy To> Browse to the location where I want to my data saved>Ok. Make sure if you're saving an entire folder (like My Documents) not to save\restore any desktop.ini's that are in the folder as this could cause you possible problems later. The amount of time it takes to copy depends on how full the disc is. That's the way I do it anyway. I know there are a lot of folk that don't like the Dirct CD feature that comes with Easy CD Creaor, but I find that I use it quite a bit when backing up to CD-RW discs and have not encountered any problems to date. If you need any help with Easy CD Creator at all, just let me know and I'll be glad to help in any way I can.
All the best :) sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.