1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows ME. Can't access Options on CP

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by markvinyl, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markvinyl

markvinyl Thread Starter

I'm running WinME, and when I go to my Control Panel and click Internet Options, I get a prompt: "Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\rundll32.exe"

I tried a System REstore, but Windows said it could not be completed. I ran AVG, and it detected a virus and put it in the vault. CWShredder came out clean. So did Spybot. Please advise. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Try restoring the file via windows system file checker. First do a scan,in advanced check to check deleted and changed files and then just sit back and let windows inform you of files it detects as having been changed,deleted or may be corrupt. Don't worry about changed or deleted files if you do not know what they are, just press ignore and continue.Except when you come to a file like rundll32.exe or rundll32.dll. Choose to "restore" those files and insert your winME cd and let windows extract and replace them.ALWAYS restore files that windows reports as "possibly corrupt". It can take quite some time so be patient and like I said if windows reports for example that Fcd.dll has been changed or deleted just hit ignore and continue. Because basically it will report the good and the bad when checking changed or deleted files. Like files that have been updated would be changed. Files that have been deleted and replaced by a program for legitimate reasons would be reported as deleted. Basically you want it to find the rundll32.exe,and it will have to sift through alot before it gets there.

3. markvinyl

markvinyl Thread Starter

I don't know how to run the specific procedures you describe. Please advise. And thanks.

4. johnni

johnni

System File Checker (SFC) doesn't exist in WinME, it was replaced by SFP - see here.
    If you go to Start, Search and type WIN_17.CAB you will probably be told it is in C:\Windows\Options\Install. A copy of rundll32.exe is in this compressed folder but you will need Winzip or similar to extract it. You could then extract it to C:\Windows (unless Windows objects because it is running) or else to C: temporarily, then find a floppy startup disk (such as from http://bootdisk.com) and after getting to the A: prompt type C:, then 'copy rundll32.exe windows' (without quotes). Restart and see if the file is now in Windows, and delete it from C:.
    It may also be possible to go to Start, Run, type msconfig, then click Extract File and fill in the boxes using Win_17.cab as the source folder and Windows as the destination folder. Again I'm not sure if this will work while Windows is running.
    Anyway the file itself should be there for the copying, even if some of my theory above is flawed!

johnni

5. markvinyl

markvinyl Thread Starter

Yes, johnni, the file in question was in WIN_17, and with a combo of your instuctions, and some supplementary advice from Annoyances.org ( a very good site for Windows problems) I was able to get my machine bacl\k up to snuff. Thanks again.

Sincerely,
    markvinyl

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice