windows me,error in KERNEL32.DLL

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

newdumbo

I frequently get the following message when on the internet -

Explorer has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL.Explorer will now close.If you continue to experience problems try restarting your computer.

When I press ok I return to the desktop,but I don't have to restart the computer.

Any help please?.

Hi Newdumbo,theres alot of things that can cause at error.See if this article helps you any:
EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in KERNEL32.DLL
Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Kernel32.dll
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q154/0/92.asp

A damaged *.pwl list can cause this problem - rename <username>.pwl to <username>.old

Delete all extra copies of WSock32.DLL, except the one in windows/System folder

Have a look at this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q225/0/40.asp

A damaged history folder can cause this error - boot using a floppy so you can access DOS if you use WindowsME or Windows 2000. If using 95 or 98 shut down all programmes and boot into DOS then run the following commands from the Windows directory, typically c:\windows\>

smartdrv
deltree history

Reboot using ctrl, alt, del to restart. If using Windows ME, remember to remove the boot floppy.

NOTE:

Different operating systems use different paths to the history, temporary internet files and cookies folders. Check your system to make sure that you are using the correct path for your machine. For example, you may find your folders are located at ...\documents and settings\{identity}\{dir} or similar.

Ensure you are not running CleanSweep4.

Reget from Softseek is known to cause this problem with IE5.5 - make sure you have the very latest version available.

i'm plagued off and on with various invalid page faults. for kernel 32 it's been suggested to delete the password file *.pwl. remember to write down what your passwords are so you can reenter them, like the one for your isp dial up connection. also check out these 2 links. :p

One of the most common causes of these errors is hidden "spyware" which comes bundled with many installs. Lavaloft's Ad-aware will detect and remove these. It is as vital as any antivirus program (have you checked for those?)

Read the FAQ and "getting started" pages before running it.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

newdumbo

Have downloaded Lavaloft's Adware software and run it.There was quite a lot of spyware on system.Have removed these and things are looking hopeful. Thanks a lot.

Great, let us know when you have given it a good test. If you continue to get errors, note the basic modules and addresses; do a ctrl -alt-del, and give us a list of what is running there other than Explorer, systray, rnaapp and any open browser windows.

Hi newdumbo. I just wanted to add that when AdAware removes the Spyware components, most likely the programs that came bundled with the Spyware you removed won't work properly without the Spyware components. Just thought I'd let you know. :) sharon

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online